How do I introduce "Time Out"?

I'd like to use time outs as a method of discipline with my son. (now 21 mos old) How do I introduce the concept to him? Any advice will be appreciated!

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 1:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally I still think he's too young to understand the concept. Remember it's only one minute per year of age though. So don't try to keep him there for longer. What's he doing at 21 months that he needs a time out anyway? Maybe just a nap would work

Answer by admckenzie at 1:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Just remind him frequently when he's behaving well that if he's naughty he will not be allowed to play or hold a toy or cuddle and he must sit or lay down in x spot or place. I have three kids and I didn't use the word bad describing their behavior to them until they were way older, way way. My youngest of three is now a mid teenager.

Raising kids I've found proves to me I wasn't as perfect a kid as I though I was back then.

Enjoy your beautiful son, knowing of course how beautiful all of our children are!!! You will make mistakes parenting while loving and teaching your kids. It's all part of life. Take care!!
    Anonymous

• I wrote second response and I understand and pretty much agree with first responder. If your child is quite verbal and attentive and understands when not having a tantrum, then time out could be started.

But if ds is like first responder wonders, because of age alone really he's just being an innocent growing baby then rethink it. Kids sure do need to be allowed to be naughty in a safe way without strict discipline!!!

admckenzie's advice of specific time related to age is really good too!! I used to just take a ticking egg timer and set it for seconds or a minute or two telling whichever one of my kids that when timer dings then child could NICELY play again or get ready to go out, whatever. Blessings for your Family, mama!!
    Anonymous

• My son is 20 months old and we recently started time outs with him. We have a spot in our living room where we put down an small towel so that he knows exactly where he has to sit for time out. If he's doing something he's not supposed to, I will tell him to stop and if he does it again he's going to time out. If he does it again, I tell him that he's going to time out and I tell him why.  I carry him over to the time out spot. He usually cries and tries to get up, but it just keep putting him back. I try to keep him there for 1 minute (1 min per year of age). I try to get him to calm down a bit before I let him up. Once his time is up I tell him that he can get up, remind him what he's not supposed to do, and give him a hug. I thought he was too young for time out too, but once we started doing it I was surprised at how well it worked.  Now I usually just have to say, "Do you want to go to time out?" and he stops.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 1:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2009