salt n spice in baby food?

Hello moms...my son is close to 7 months old and doing pretty well with rice cereal and mashed fruits n some veggies...I was thinking of introducing him to some mixed veggie soups...is it safe to add some salt to it? How & when did you introduce your baby to salt n some spice? Also what other cereal can I give him now? Is it ok to give him solids on a breakfast, lunch and dinner routine , with formula in between? I really appreciate any help, and thanks in advance for your responses :):)

elizabee

Asked by elizabee at 1:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't give him salt. They will get plenty of that eventually! Let him learn to enjoy food without the salt. However I think you can try any spices! I was cautious with my 2nd born when it came to spicy because he had. Sensitive stomach. Moms in other countries give there babies any number of spices. Unless you guys have a history of food allergies in your family, I would say anything goes (just about) with food. My kids were eating table food (smashed with a fork) shortly after they had teeth.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My kids ate three meals a day...they ate when we ate...starting a 5 months. At 6 months we started introducing table and finger foods. By 9 months they were totally on table foods. (before teeth)

I wouldn't ADD salt to anything, but if there is a limited amount in the food, it's okay.
    Anonymous

• DO NOT add salt to baby food! They get plenty of sodium from breast milk or formula, too much sodium in a baby's diet is not healthy. The food may taste bland to you, but to him it's plenty tasty after months of not tasting anything but milk or cereal. DO NOT go by what it tastes like to you! It's fine to add a dash of cinnamon to applesauce or fruit, but other spicy things like pepper will be way too much for him to handle.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 2:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I don't add salt to anything my DD eats. She loves the Gerber Stage 2 and 3 dinners and they have herbs and stuff in them. She is turned seven months yesterday and we've had her on a 3 solid meals a day schedule for week. She doing really well on it. I give her cereal (rice, oatmeal or mixed grain) mixed with fruit for breakfast, a fruit or veggie for lunch, and a dinner (like turkey, vegetables, and barley) at dinner time. she also likes Gerber puffs and Crunchies (crawler stage)
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 1:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2009