Any Suggestions? I need help taking my son off the bottle...

My son goes to daycare and next month he will be leaving the infant room to the toddler room, where they don't give bottles. My son will be 1 on the 31st. The problem is... He doesn't have any teeth and formula is still a major part of his diet. I have tried putting the formula in a sippy but he refusing to drink from it. He has been using a sippy for a while now but, only for juice. Is this something that I will have to take very slowly or is any thing that might speed this process up?

Dylanmom731

Asked by Dylanmom731 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well you just throw ALL the bottles away, and feed him FOOD, even if he doesn't have teeth he can still eat baby food. If you still insist on giving him formula then put it in a sippy, he'll take it over a period of time if not then switch to whole milk. It isn't a slow process at all as long as you take ALL the bottles away. My kids were off the bottle at 10 months and if they ever drank anything it was out of a sippy, I kept them on formula until 1 year old then switched to whole milk. B/c there was no bottle they drank the formula out of the sippy, you just can't give in when they throw a fit the first time. Just leave the sippy there and he'll come get it, if not just feed him. He doesn't need the formula if he's getting food through out the day.
    Anonymous

• As far as food is concerned, if you can mash it against the roof of your mouth with your tongue, he can gum it. There is a wide variety of foods that they can eat at this age, ranging from soft fruits (berries are awesome!) to eggs to toast to even meat (Kaylee loves chicken and pork!) Remember that your front teeth are for ripping/tearing, not chewing, so if we all waited until our children had their grinding teeth they would never eat!

Continued...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Continued...

Now as far as the bottle is concerned...Kaylee wouldn't take formula from a sippy. However, since he is almost a year, he can start trying milk. At a year they should be off of formula anyways and eating balanced meals. If you can get him to take milk out of a sippy, then I would suggest taking the bottle away during the day and only letting him have it in the morning and at night (for a total of 2 bottles a day). After he seems comfortable with that, then take it away in the mornings, and then move on to nights.

Oh, and back to the food, you can look in the baby food isle and try out the Gerber Graduates meals. They make Pasta Pick-Ups that were GREAT dinners for Kaylee when we started moving her to real food, and they have all kinds of other things too.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Will they still transition him if he isn't drinking out of a sippy? It seems weird they would still move him, knowing he hasn't been weaned off bottles. My 13 month old is still in the infant room, along with some other ones his age. He still isn't walking yet and he HAS to walk well in order to move up to the next room.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It's simple. Give him formula in his sippy. That's it. No juice. He CAN use the sippy, there is NO reason for him to still be receiving a bottle at all!! Anything you put in a bottle, you can put in a sippy. Getting rid of the bottle does not mean getting rid of formula.

Food...start giving him more if he can take it. It doesn't matter if he has teeth or not...he wouldn't be chewing with those anyway!!! If an adult with no teeth can eat, so can he. Just start giving him pieces of whatever you are eating at the meals when you eat them.

Don't switch him to milk until he is getting most of his nutrition from food! He still needs the nutrients from formula if he's not eating!
    Anonymous

• ahhhh went through the same thing and wouldnt take sippy.. but ugh what i did was i threw away all bottles!!! bought some sippys that are similar to bottles (ie Nipple wise) then offer that to him and if he doesnt want thats ok he will eventually as long as he is still getting other foods then it wont be starving him or anything and as far as using formula still u can do half that and half whole milk to get him used to whole milk.. or jus take away the formula along with bottles jus be strong and dont give in! he will eventually take it! Ps if u decide to give him whole milk only put in sippys
    CnJ618

Answer by CnJ618 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• You will have to take it slowly, although every child is different. I would not rush it. He will break way in due time.
    lilmomma998

Answer by lilmomma998 at 7:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Simple. Throw away the bottles. Put his formula (or at his age, milk) in the sippy cup. When he gets thirsty enough, he'll drink it.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2009