is he ready?

my son will be 3 aug 30th this is day 2 with potty training... yesterday he peed in potty 4 times i had too make him sit there he jut didnt go sit down and pee himelf .. today he has pee pee 1 time in potty and pooped 1 time too .. do u think he is ready he sits there when i tell him too .. what u think?

ashley_nick30

Asked by ashley_nick30 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He sounds ready to me. Just be patient and encouraging. Because there may be days where he won't want to have anything to do with the potty then others when he will do it himself. That's the way my daughter was.
    Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• thank you.. would u put a diaper on him when we go places or put big boy undies on him i dont want too confuse him what do u think do they think pull ups are diapers too?
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• When he starts telling you that he has to go potty then I'd use pull ups or diapers. And always bring a full change of clothes when you do start putting him in underwear. My daughter has had accidents when we've been out. I just changed her clothes and kept going.
    If he does really good in the underwear at home then I'd do places like a friend or family member's house and see how it goes. Sometimes they don't know there is a bathroom everywhere they go.
    Samantha_1629

Answer by Samantha_1629 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• mine will jut ue the bathroom in the undies i know he will at home i have been keeping him naked and making him sit down every so often or he would jut pee anywhere
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Once you have had at least a week of success and he is telling you when he needs to go, I would put him in regular underwear while you are at home. Depending on where you are going and how successful he has been, I would take a small potty chair in the car just in case he needs to go on the way to the mall. I would not recommend pull-ups at any time! They are just glorified diapers in a child's eyes. They confuse the child! From what you have told us, he sounds like he is past being ready, he is on his way. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It sounds to me like he is definitely ready. Like LovetoTeach247 I agree with not using pull ups....if you're not ready to get rid of the diapers (especially at nighttime or out in public for long periods of time) try using regular underwear and then putting the diaper over the underwear. He will still feel the wetness (and therefore not think it's ok to pee/poop just because he's got the diaper on) but if he does have an accident his clothes won't get messed. Good luck!
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 7:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2009