for those who DON'T vaccinate...

this is to satisfy my own personal curiosity, NOT to start drama. if you chose not to vaccinate, did you also breastfeed? and for how long? if you don't want to share this information, please ignore the question and move on to the next. there is no need to tell me it's none of my business, just skip this question. thank you in advance ladies!

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter is vaccine-free, 23 months, and "still" breastfeeding. It seems that most women in the non-vaxxing groups breastfeed, and a lot of women in the Nursing Tots group don't vaccinate or use a selective/delayed schedule. There's a lot a LOT of info that goes into the decisions to forgo vaccinations, and generally speaking breast feeding is a big reason women are comfortable in making this decision. That is, there are lots of safer, natural ways to help prevent disease, and breast feeding is one of them.
    I hope that helps.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 5:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Yes, 14 months. He self weaned when I became pregnant again. I guess the flavor had changed, lol.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 2:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i do not vaccinate and am still breastfeeding. dd just turned 1. i was thinking...it makes sense to me that if one does research on vaccines and makes an educated decision not to vaccinate, that one would also research other aspects of parenting. that being said, i have just been wondering how one could choose not to vaccinate, and at the same time choose not to breastfeed. not trying to start drama, just wondering.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I wonder ALL the time why women go on rants about certain "safety" related issues, like not smoking while pregnancy, and go so far as to bash those who do because of all of the scientific evidence regarding the risks, then turn around and defend their choice to electively induce a pregnancy at 40 weeks simply because they feel like even when presented with equally sound scientific evidence of the risks associated with that. It's all about priorities and how those choices affect the PARENT as well as the child. Some choices are easier to make because they are more convenient for the parent. Some risks are easier for some moms to justify because it benefits THEM. The list is endless, if you were to try to start making comparisons.
    Pandana

Answer by Pandana at 3:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I didn't vaccinate and I did breastfeed. I hated every single moment of it, but I did it. My oldest had to stop nursing early because my belly was so big he didn't fit anymore (prego w/ #2) so he quit at 13 months. But the little one nursed until he was almost 2, then he didn't want it anymore...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I'm doing a delayed vax schedule, and won't do hep B until they're teens, and I BF my first son three and a half years. I hope/plan to let this baby self wean, as well.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My son was nursed until he decided to stop at 23 months. He's on a selective/delayed vax schedule.
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• We vaccinated on schedule with our first until 9 months, then we started being selective. He was breastfed for 3 months, sadly. We're not vaccinating this baby at all and my goal is 2 years of breastfeeding as a minimum.
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 6:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• No vax, we continue to nurse at 3 years.
    Anonymous

• we plan on nursing till he wants to stop, however he is "up to date" on his shots out of my sheer ignorance, next apt though we are going to discuss delaying because my mind is killing me.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 10:15 AM on Jul. 11, 2009