How can I get my 2 year old to stop throwing?

I'm a little frustrated, ok ALOT frustrated. My 2 year old son likes to throw, EVERYTHING. When his sippy cup is empty, he throws it. If he has something he's not supposed to have, he throws it. He throws just about everything. We've tried telling him no, but he'll just throw it harder. We've taken the item thrown away. It doesn't seem to work. My DH & I would throw things at each other (i.e. if he needed the remote, I would underhand it softly, etc.) We've stopped doing that as well. Does anyone have any advice?

JLee07

Asked by JLee07 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would spank his bottom every time he threw something he wasn't supposed to. That method will soon put a stop to it. He understands that what he is doing isn't supposed to happen. It's his little way of controlling his own world.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• When he throws something, take it away. THEN give him something he CAN throw - a bean bag, a small ball. Give him lots of opportunities to throw things that are appropriate, and take away anything that is not. He's young, so it's going to take a long time and lots of testing for him to get the message of what is okay and what is not okay to throw. Don't spank because it's just not a logical consequence to a NATURAL activity that all children do. Take the time to teach him when it's okay to throw and when it's not. In the long run, you'll all be a lot happier. Who knows...you may have a World Series Pitcher growing up in your house...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2009