When focusing on Jesus and prayers

do you focus on the negative and ask God to clean it up or do you focus on the positive and thank God for your many blessings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• depends on what is going on in my life at the time.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I do neither. I pray with God for guidance and strength to go through what I've come through and what ever is coming up in my future. That builds me up more than asking or telling demanding in anger for God to clean up the mess that his world has given me.
    Anonymous

• I do like I have been taught.....sort of like a Prayer sandwhich. First piece of bread, if you will, would be praise of God's holy name and thank Him for my many blessings. Moving along the sandwhich filling, ask for what my needs may be, whether those are emotional (such as patience) or physical, such as financial assistance, healing, whatever is going on. Lastly, for that 'second piece of bread'.....more praise and thanks to God for my many blessings. At this time I also thank Him for receipt of the things for which I have asked, as I have been taught that we are to believe that we have what we have asked for when we ask it....not waiting until we see it.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 2:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• both. i thank him for my family all the time
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Through the day a liitle of all. Not a day goes by when I will get a thump and I just looked up and say, Your right I'm wrong thanks.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• All of the above and much more. Prayer is simply communication between me and God. So just as I communicate with my human contacts in many ways, I communicate with God in many ways. Yes, I know He is God and not a human, but He wants us to bring EVERYTHING to Him, the good, the bad, and all the rest.  He already knows it anyway.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Both. I believe that the Lord's prayer is not only something that we should pray to God (whom Jesus is part of) but also a suggestion on how we should model our prayers. Our father whom art in heaven (addressing God). Hallowed be thy name (praising God). Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven (acknowledging that despite our requests, the will of God will and ultimately what is best for us will be done). Give us this day our daily bread (your petitions to God) and forgive us our debts (tresspasses) as we forgive our debtors (tresspassers) (asking God for forgiveness for our sins). Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil (after asking God for forgiveness, petitioning him to help us be truly repetent). For thine is the kingdom...ect (acknowleding God's ability to do all things and praising him again at the close of the prayer)-Amen ("SO BE IT").
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Not that prayers have to follow a specific format but the Lord's prayer is certainly an example of how we can talk to God about anything and how we should include EVERYTHING :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I agree with NovemberLove. I've also heard of using the acronym ACTS as a guide to prayer and worship. A = Adoration (praising God); C = Contrition (sorrow, confessing sin); T = Thanksgiving; and S = Supplication (asking God, petitions).
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 11:00 AM on Jul. 11, 2009