How would you pull a boy/girl toddler bedroom together?

I'll soon be moving my boy/girl twins from cribs to toddler beds and I'm redecorating. I already have one toddler bed that looks like a VW Beetle and is yellow with aqua and white, and I am also ordering a firetruck toddler bed. I have heavy older wood furniture that I plan to paint to coordinate somehow (suggestions welcome!). I'm also thinking of making some sort of playhouse out of pvc pipe and fabric, but I haven't decided what it should look like yet (fire station? regular house? store? garage?). Do you have any suggestions for decorations that would help pull this room together?

Thanks!

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Is the room fairly symmetrical? Can it be divided in half? If so, I think I would do separate themes on each half, and divide the room with a double sided curtain (can use small eye hooks in the ceiling and run heavy fishing line through the hooks to make a clothesline like system) on one side a firetruck theme and on the other a floral or garden theme using a variety of appliques sewn on to the "curtain."

I would paint the whole room in a warm white color (not harsh white) color as it would work with firetrucks and the VW Beetle/Garden theme. And paint the furniture to coordinate match the beds...red or navy blue for your son, aqua or yellow for your daughter.

Window treatments could match the curtain divider or furniture, and set the playhouse in the middle of the room with access from both halves!

I think its best to keep color schemes to no more than 3 main colors--otherwise it'll look too busy!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009