catholic books?

so i have a little bit of time before i can start the rcia in germany.
i was thinking of getting a book (other than the bible) to help me understand catholicism. i was thinking about the book catholicism for dummies, i heard it was good.....is that true? suggest anything else?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A good start. A quick read is Rome Sweet Home. It's by Dr. Scott Hahn and his wife. It's all about their journey to the Catholic Faith, So there is some explanations in there also. Actually anything by him is great. He's a former Presbyterian Minister who converted to Catholicism.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Depends on what aspects of Catholicism you're interested in - history, liturgy, prayer, Why we do what we do... You can look at some online publishers, like Ignatius Press, for catalogs of different books. When I was starting my journey, I read lots of books about Mary and the Saints so that I could understand that better. I would see if you can contact your local Diocese to see if they have a library you can also use as a resource to borrow books. Good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Catholicism for Dummies is a good book to start with. I also like books by Scott Hahn. Patrick Madrid has "Surprised by the Truth" books which are testimonies of people and why they converted to Catholicism. I recently read "My Life With the Saints" by James Martin and enjoyed that as a introduction to some Catholic saints and how they affected the author's life.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I forgot Patrick Madrid. the thing I like about those two is they are very easy to understand and put things into perpective for today.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2009