How many of you would be willing to sign the Declaration of Independence today?

So many of those men gave up so much because they signed that document. One man was deserted by all family and friends, and died alone. In his journal, he wrote that he had no regrets. Another man was forced to light the cannon that blew up his own mansion. The British had taken over his home and was using it for a fort.

I know there were many other sacrifices, but those are the two that come to mind right now.

These men were rich, the elite of the elite, and most of them lost everything. They lost their wealth, a lot lost family, most lost friends.

Would you be willing to make that kind of sacrifice to have our republic back?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• women were not allowed to sign then. You think we could sign today without someone getting their boxers in a twist?
    Anonymous

• Honestly, I probably wouldn't do it. I know. I'm a weanie. But I don't think I could do it. Shameful.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 2:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Good point. Already I will use my work address and email when I'm contacting the White House website or liberal Senators.

I stayed awake during History classes ... I notice news articles about the capabilities of the internet ... I've noticed more than one mysterious death which happened at a politically convenient time to take the heat off someone powerful.

Heck, just recall how a few weeks ago ACORN hired and trucked in bogus protesters to rally in front of the AIG building for the news cameras. And Congressmen released the NAMES of AIG execs ! This caused them to get death threats against themselves & their families, and have their homes besieged ! Congressmen did that deliberately !

These are ruthless times, so I wouldn't risk being arrested and killed like some of those men were. I'd just get silenced.

Oh ! ... If it GUARANTEED we would have our Republic back (missed that part), then YES, I would sign and die
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Call me a wonk, but we always do a family reading on the 4th of July. While there are a few changes I would want to make, yes,I would sign it.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Anon:

If women can vote and run for president, why wouldn't women be able to sign something like that?

But, just to humor you, would you be willing to sacrifice like they did because your husband signed it?
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If I could have I would have!!! Freedom isn't free!!!

patriotic

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If my husband signed it, yes, I would be willing to sacrifice. Why does that make my answer different? Something to ponder.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 3:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• In a heartbeat I would sign it. I still predict things are going to get violent as the economy continues to fall.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I sure would yes.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• They signed it fully expecting to be sent to the gallows for it. I'd like to think I could be that brave.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2009