Should i start my 3 month old on baby food?

So we took my son to a checkup today and the doctor said that its ok to start him on baby food because he is not getting filled up with the formula that we are giving him.Now from what i heard from a lot of people I know,is that you shouldn't start them off before 6 months. I know the doctor knows more then I do but I just don't want my son to get sick. Has any else started the baby food early?

Dylansmom32509

Asked by Dylansmom32509 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it is really too soon. ANd they can have food allergies it is best to wait until at least 6 months.
    Anonymous

• If you're doctor said it's OK, try it. You may find at 3 months he's not ready for the whole spoon, food thing. Or he may gobble it up. Every baby is different. Mine wasn't ready until six months.

Try a little cereal and if it's a disaster. Wait a week and try again. Start with a little rice cereal and add formula to make it pretty thin.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i did with my son but i stop and waiting longer when he got older u can try baby cereal and make kinda runny he was getting sick i was told 4 months with cereal n 6 month baby food
    Anonymous

• I just started my son on cereal and he is 3 months. He did ok. Mostly just spit out all the cereal. I have only done it once but will try again soon.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 2:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i give my son one grain cereal cuz he wasnt getting full on breast milk or formula and its been good. give him it once then wait to make sure he can digest it and if so i would give him it and plus ur doctor told u to
    Anonymous

• No!!! three months is too early!!!!! Doctors tend to know very little about nutrition. Wait until your baby is 5 or six months old. Start with a little bit of avocado mashed with breast milk or formula. then baked sweet potato, pureed peas, cooked and mashed beans etc. Jarred baby foods taste nasty, and you never really know what is in them.
    the best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; you should be able to find a copy at your local library. www.superbabyfood.com

Solids fed to babies the first year are for the experience of eatingthem, not nutrition; this continues to come from breastmilk (or formula)

Answer by rkoloms at 2:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• no way!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I would get a second opinion. if your baby is failing to thrive on his current formula, try switching to a formula with a higher fat content. I would only start food as a last resort. But do what you have to do to keep your baby healthy!!
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I did. start slow and follow your babies wants. some say vegies than fruits other say fruits than vegies. I say try what you want. there will be a learning curve with the spoon for your little one but if its a food he/she loves thely earn fast than slowly try new food one at a time wit some time between just to make sure there are no food alergies. Your the mommy and you know what you baby needs best
    cmtjenn

Answer by cmtjenn at 3:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• we're going to wait as long as we can to add cereal or food but if the doctor told me to, i would probably do it.
    khatcat

Answer by khatcat at 3:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009