How can I get my 23month yr old son to stop throwing food everywhere?

I know that it happens but I don't want my son to continue throwing food everywhere. What can I do because he also is a picky eater and when I try to let him feed himself he mostly don't want to eat what I give him or will just throw it on the floor regardless if he likes it or not. I try to feed him myself sometimes to get him to eat and he still puts his hands in his face and I don't know what to do. I don't want to feed him cuz he is getting to be 2 now and he needs to eat on his own. I am frustrated.

lilmomma998

Asked by lilmomma998 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Food should never be a battle, not even with a picky eater. Once the food starts to fly dinner/lunch/breakfast is over. Remove the plate and take him out of his chair, let him know that "we don't throw food".

Quit feeding him, he is old enough to feed himself, and the more you stress about making sure he is eating the more he is going to fight it, it's just in thier nature at this age.

If you are worried about nutrients, leave a few healthy choice snacks out that he can graze on, not a lot but enough to not make you not worry about him to much. Put him in charge of how much he eats, keep introducing the new stuff along with the stuff he likes but don't make it a battle.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2009