any moms from pennsylvania with food stamps.....i have questions

First i have to ask no bashing. Im a single mom who is also a ful time student and i just now began receiving food stamps thats it no cash or anything else. I was wondering what the "rules" are. I plan on going on my first shopping trip but i dont know what im NOT allowed to get..like i know paper products or dog food. but what about baby food? baby snacks? coffee? juice? can i get packaged items i know no hot food (like fried chicken) no tobacco or alcohol....please advise i dontwanna look foolish

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes you can get baby food and baby snacks
    you can get everything besides what you listed lol you should be good
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I live in Maine & the rules here are you can get any food items. Babyfood is included in that I get my DD gerber foods all the time. Juice, coffee, cereal, meats, dairy, frozen, you name it you can get it here however, the laws may be different for you guys. You can contact your worker & they'll explain it to you or you most likely can find something online if you google it. Dont feel ashamed for having foodstamps either we get them too.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• OP here: mrs owen _86 did you mean i get can anything except what i said i know i cant get
    Anonymous

• anything consumable can be purchased with food stamps. Some states allow hot deli food to be purchased but you'd have to ask at the store.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I've never used PA but we did have WA food benefits for a few months when DH & I were both unemployed. We could buy basically every food or beverage item except alcohol or prepared foods (anything from a restaurant or deli or bakery items). Even gum is included (we discovered by accident, lol). But all meats, dairy, veggies & fruits (fresh, canned, or frozen), frozen foods, juices, bottled water. You cannot buy anything that is not a food or beverage so no dog food, saran or foil wrap, ziploc bags, that sort of stuff. Baby food, baby snacks, coffee, juice, & packaged foods should all be ok. Is there a store in your area that has a self-checkout? I used that a lot when I didn't want to deal with a clerk. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• lol ya that is what i ment the juice coffee baby foods you can get you can anything really
    just not hot deli foods or things like beer
    sorry for beingconfusing lol
    but yes you can get coffee and stuff
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009