I cant get my son(20 months old) to stop hitting, can anyone help me?????

newmom1028

Asked by newmom1028 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell him No we dont hit and then say if he does it again you will go in time out. I have to use a play pen for my son (20 months too) and make him sit in it for 2 minutes then I say if you are going to play nice you can come out He doesnt hit as much anymore. Good luck.
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• This is what i do in my house. I have two little ones. If they hit, i try to teach them " easy", walk up to your child and touch them gently dragging out the word " eeeaaasssyyy." It takes time but eventually works for the most part. They also get time outs , if they still hit, after the lesson is taught a few times, . Kids need to be taught these things, they are emotional beings , especially when they can't comunicate as well as an older child. So they resort to instincts e.i > hitting. LOL
    So good luck. I really believe the younger kids are taught certain things, such as this, the better they turn out. :D
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• grab his hand (gently but firmly) and tell him NO HITTING. Don't yell, but be firm when you say it. I follow the hitting attempt with kissing their hand to try to replace the bad behavior with something good. It may take a few times but they catch on.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• my son loves to hit in the face. he ended up scratching my mom's eyeball and she had to wear an eye patch and get eye drops. terrible! I tried time-outs, saying no, swatting his hands, spatting his tushie, redirecting, and so on... nothing worked. So today, out of desperation, i tapped his cheek with my fingers. in no way was it a slap, smack, pop, or anything like that. but just that tap upset him, he raised his hand to me, paused, and put it back down. the hitting has already decreased.
    Anonymous