Does my 3 year old need preschool?

I have 2 boys ages 3.5 and 16 months. I normally would not be concerned about preschool except that my older son went last year for 2 mornings a week. He didn't like it that much and ended up missing a lot at the end of the year. We really can't afford tuition this year, but I'm wondering if it is going to be o.k. for him to stay home this year after he already did a year of preschool. I would probably want him to go to preschool next year before he starts kindergarten. So my question is, is it o.k. to skip a year? Any advice/opinions are appreciated.

moma16412

Asked by moma16412 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My mom is a preschool teacher and really they teach them to be social more than anything and I personally believe that's very important (especially in today's world where everyone is rude and doesn't give a crap and have no tact or social skills whatsoever). It doesn't just teach colors and counting and stuff... And also a good thing, my mom is trained to spot behavioral disorders (such as ADD, ADHD, Autism, etc.) so a trained teacher can catch this early on so it can be treated early... In my honest opinion, it's worth it. And if you can't afford the school he used to go to they have free preschool through the government (although I don't know how good the schools are). My mom's school is both state and nationally accredited (spelling sorry). Hope that helps.
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 11:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2008

• I don't think that missing preschool a year would be a problem. As long as you maybe find some other social group you could take him to. Maybe gymnastics, or even just the park. If he didn't like it when he was younger then he may not be ready in general. I once read that sometimes preschool can cause more damage than not if a child is not ready. Ask him what he thought about it, and maybe take another tour of not just that school but others that might be less in tuition..See what he thinks and if he would like to go.

TwinKleOut

Answer by TwinKleOut at 12:08 AM on Aug. 19, 2008

• Kids are only little for a short time...there is no need to rush them...they are fine without preschool. My kids stay home with me but they attend dance, spend time with grandma and grandpa, go to the babysitter from time to time, they also go to the park...I think they are social enough for 3 and 4. Being rude and impolite has little to do with preschool and lots to do with parenting.
    smsampson13

Answer by smsampson13 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 19, 2008

• My son is almost 4 (turns 4 August 31) and is not going into preschool this year. I think he learns a lot playing, using his imagination, and learning to share with his sister.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2008

• I think it is fine. 2 is very young for a boy to go to school anyway. They develop slower. Give him a break. The most important year is the one right before kindergarden anyway. Look at it as an extra year with you. Before you know it he will be in a cap and gown...time goes so fast. Hang on to every precious moment you have with him...you can't get these days back.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• People were pushing me to get my dd into preschool when she turned 3 and I just couldn't afford it. Plus I had brand new twin babies. I really just wanted to keep the schedule and routine I had. And...we couldn't afford it. She is now 2 months from being 5 yrs. and starting pre-school for the first time -- 3 mornings a week. It will only be a year....but i thought that I wanted to give her a taste of what school is like beofre kindergarten. So...I think, its OK to pull him out...as long as he understand that he WILL need to go back to school again eventually.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2008

• I am a preschool teacher. Your 3 year old does NOT need preschool. If you are involved with your child and spend quality time together everyday, preschool is not necessary. Your child will benefit and learn better from YOU, the person who loves her the most.

In my experience, 3 years is too young for preschool. 4.5 to 5 years is a good time to start. But it depends on the child, and the amount of time the child spends in preschool/daycare (its the same thing).

My happiest children are the ones who are part time (less than 5 hours), two to three days a week. They get to socialize and play with other children, sing songs have fun, and then go home. Its heartbreaking to watch the full time kids see their friends leave early. My full timers are obviously not as content and tend to get a few more time outs for misbehaving than my part timers.
    tellamber

Answer by tellamber at 10:08 PM on Oct. 24, 2008