Trouble with Weight

Besides watching what you eat and exercising what have you moms done to lose the excess weight after preg. I know some moms go back to pre-pregnancy weight but unfortunately I am not that lucky. And I really think the birth control I am on, which is ortho-cyclen, is causing me to gain weight. Anyone else have troubles besides me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• watching what you eat and exercising is really the most healthy and best way to lose weight. you don't want to take any "miracle" pills or anything like that! Even those no-carb style type diets aren't good because eventually you will want to eat carbs again - trust me! I know it's hard when you have kids, but can you increase your exercising a bit? And count your calories? It may take longer to lose weight after you have a baby but don't get discouraged! Your baby thanks you for giving him/her a healthy body to grow in :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• ps- if you want to count calories I recommend www.my-calorie-counter.com - it's really helpful!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I gained about 50 lbs with my second daughter. The first 30 came off easily and last 20 I had to work at. It all comes down to burning more calories than you take in. I would burn 1000 calories at the gym between the elliptical and the bike, and we usually walk or ride bike in the evening with the girls. I ate a banana and yogurt for breakfast, a turkey sandwich for lunch, fruit or yogurt for afternoon snack, and usually a chicken salad with salsa or fat free dressing for dinner. The food did get a little repetitive and there are plenty of options out there, but it really did work for me.. Take one day off from dieting a week so you don't get to burnt out, dont go crazy but enjoy something you like!! Good luck
    jessrose825

Answer by jessrose825 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• How long has it been? It took about 9 months for me to get back to prepregnancy weight w/o changing diet. The last 10-15 seemed to linger. But I wasn't breastfeeding, so I didn't have the extra calories, either.
    Anonymous

• I couldn't lose the last 15 lbs no matter what I did (I trained for a half marathon, I'm still breastfeeding, I gave up sweets)... then about 3 weeks ago I started Weight Watchers and have already lost 7-8 lbs. I love it. I am cooking a lot more (from a WW cookbook, which I also love). If you are considering changing your eating habits, I think Weight Watchers is a sensible way to start. It's not extreme -- just gets you making healthier choices and controlling your portions. It's safe for nursing women, too, because the fact that you're nursing is calculated into the "points" you're allowed, etc.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2009