another strange question lol

Are workouts more effective in extreme cold or extreme heat compared to a comfortable temperature?
your body would have to work either way to keep your body warm or cold right ?or not ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Extreme heat would result in heat stroke if you do not keep your body hydrated. If you are exercising in 100 degree weather, you are going to have to stop and rest a lot in order to keep yourself alive. I am not sure why you would want to exercise in extreme cold. You could freeze something off, like your fingers. BTW- I posted to both questions and I must say that you and your sister have some pretty interesting conversations.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Theoretically speaking, you'll burn more calories in extreme cold, but it can cause muscle cramps and frostbite (lost fingers--not sexy). Extreme heat can keep your muscles warm, but you could also get heat stroke (fainting usually ends your workout). Generally, extremes are not going to be productive.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Original poster her just to clarify these are just random questions my sister and i were pondering a couple days ago lol
    Anonymous

• lol My sister runs track and when she came back from practice she was sweating like crazy and I was worried and she said its just as bad in the winter lol so thats where the questions came from lol .....but yeah thats pretty much how interesting all our conversations are : )
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't recommend extreme weather, but a lot of people wear sweatsuits and work out in a warm room so they sweat. If your body is too cold or too warm it takes calories to warm it up or cool it down yes.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Neither. You're asking for frostbite or heat exhaustion if you exercise in extreme weather. Not a good idea.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2009