Potty Training

My daughter is almost 2 1/2. I'm not concerned with her being potty trained yet. My other two were not potty trained until after three.
She's been going on the potty if we ask her. She will go all day, as long as we remind her to go. She won't just come up and tell us she has to go. And of course when she is sleeping, she will just go in her diaper/pull up. She likes going potty, it makes her feel like a big girl. The problem is, she doesn't really talk. She talks at a 12-15 month old level. She has been diagnosed with expressive speech delay, so she doesn't tell us what she wants. As I said, I'm not really concerned that she isn't potty trained at this age. It's just that she has started showing interest in it (she follows her sisters to the bathroom). She has trainers, and is acting like she is ready. I'm just really concerned with the lang. barrier. Any advice?

usafwife314

Asked by usafwife314 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to teach her a few signs to help communicate with you if it's just the lack of speach that is a problem. At this age though, a lot of kids are too busy playing to remind you until after anyway :)
    Anonymous

• I agree. Teach her a few signs to use so she can "tell" you she wants to go.
    Anonymous