Military ladies - Stimulus

I just got the base papers and we're getting over 50million in stimulus money to create construction jobs and improve infrastructure.

Have any of you gotten stimulus money to improve your base?

JackalsWife

Asked by JackalsWife at 5:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Probably... they have been rebuilding all the houseing up here except for mine. The housing I'm living in was built in the 50's... before it was required to have smoke detectors in every room!!! So we have wires on the outside of the walls for smoke detectors and cable/phone cords. No garage (in ALASKA!). They have rebuilt a lot of houses and they are SOOO much nicer! I hope they knock these ones down and give us a decent house actually! We are moving off base because there is no reason to be paying all our BAH for this place.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Our base already had money allotted for projects, but now they have been TOLD to use the stimulus money first. But they are projects already approved. Jobs were slated for these projects before the stimulus, so it's nothing new.... Excpet 'they' can take credit for it, even though it would have happened with or without the stimulus and with the same deadline. There's that liberal 'funny math' for ya!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Not sure really. I know we are getting loads of new housing but that's because we are going privatized housing and they tore down all the old ones and just cut down a lot of trees to build more officer housing. I don't know about any other base improvements. Haven't read this weeks base newspaper yet, its still laying on my table lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I swear I'm at the last AFB that does not have privatized housing!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 6:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• when i was at Minot AFB i don't know if they got stimulus money but they got lots of new stuff
    I'm at Charleston AFB now i still don't know ut i do know that Army Wives is filmed here :)
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Norfolk is getting rid of the steam pipes all over the base and installing a more modern way to distrubute heat..We were househunting in Great Lakes last month and saw a lot of road improvements near the base.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I am not military, but I sure am glad to hear this, thank you very much for your service and God bless all of you!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:59 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Nope, all our projects were in the works before the stimulus. The upcoming projects were also long planned. We are getting new runways and they did try to say that was paid for by stimulus. Our local paper slapped that down fast. The project was in the work for 5 years and our city put in a boat load of cash because our base and the local airport are a partnership. The article was hilarious though! A lot of people were really mad because of the attempted lie.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2009