What toys are good for long trips for a toddler?

We are going on a 21 hour car ride with our 20 month old.

I have a portable DVD player but it's one she has to hold onto.
I have coloring books but I need some good ideas of what to get her for this long trip! She hates being in her car seat!

meghancooper

Asked by meghancooper at 5:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• toys that make noises,
    when we went on our trip we tied the portibole dvd player to the back of the seat if you have like a little dinner lap table you can set the dvd player on that. we also took one of luggage get it on the seat beside the carseat the the dvd player on that and support it with a blanket so it didn't fall over and he watched his movies that way, hope this makes sense
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• he had toys coloring books and stuff but the only thing that kep him content was watching his movies good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I don't have dvd player. What has worked for us (and we do 4, 6, or even 12 hr. drives) is things that make noise. Like talking books, those alphabet bords where they press and it says the name of the letter and its sounds and can play music etc. have been a major hit in our car. Also the magna doodle/magnet drawing boards (the ones with the little attached pen). Familiar books they can look at.
    And I pack some snack stuff and balls etc. and stop at rest stops so they can strech their legs and run around a bit (the diff state ones are cool) -- the kids love collecting all the brochures.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I haven't taken my twins on a long trip yet, but my older one loved her "magic drawing board" (one of those grey magnetic board with the plastic pencil attached with a string). I also packed up toys in brown paper bags to let her open every hour or two - I bought stuff from the party store, dollar store, etc. Having something new every so often seemed to help a lot. I didn't have a dvd player back then, but I think that will also be good. Another thing that my babies like now is happy music - doesn't have to be kiddie as long as it's upbeat. If someone can sit near her and play with her that will help too. Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I recently saw these suggestions in parenting magazine;

Cookie sheet with magnets to play with.
    Cardboard or stiff paper and a sheet of stickers
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2009