grocery questions

So DF nand I are adoptinga newhealthy style of eating...thing is neither of uscome from uber healthy families sooo idont know what to buy?? this may sound really silly to you ladies but im new to this wife thing and i really dont know what to do. im not close with either of our moms so i have noone to call! What i need from you ladies are healthy dinner ideas that our 1 year old can enojy with us that are yummy! or if you are feeling very generous a grocery list may help (ps we need EVERYTHING) lol thanks girls i appreciate it. oh and im not going to an organic foods store just good old giant eagle

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wheat pasta is fairly cheap and can be dressed up different ways (homemade tomato sauce or olive oil with garlic etc..). It is healthy and tasty. Most kids love pasta :)
    You can also make homemade pizzas, which is good cause you can use the left over tomato sauce from the pasta for it, they sell this whole wheat as well. You could use a wheat fajita wrap in a pinch but the bake time is probably less.
    hmmmm i have to think...
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Stir fry is good because you can use a white meat with whatever fresh veggies you like or were on sale. For example, chicken with onions, peppers, carrots, broccolli, asparagus, snow peas. Any combination of these will work. Extra Virgin Olive Oil should be on your grocery list. :)
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• A good snack for me is baby carrots (raw) and a lite ranch dressing for dipping. It is good for the chips craving :)
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• http://www.eatingwell.com/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

try these websites
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• In my opinion, there are two ways you can go. You can either start by taking the foods you already cook and tweaking them to make them more healthy, or you can start with simple and easy foods that are different from what you're doing now.

Do you cook now? What type of things do you like?

As a general rule of thumb, take simple food (a piece of seasoned chicken, for example, and grill it with no fat at all. You'll end up with a delicious and healthy chunk of chicken. Repeat with fish, pork or beef. Add a fresh vegetable on the side or salad out of a bag and you have just about the easiest, fastest, least expensive and healthiest food you can imagine.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 6:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I started out being able to make like three things other than Ramen and mac and cheese. I got a few cookbooks and found a few websites with food that sounded good and just started making stuff. I also clip good sounding recipes from magazines. A few things I always like to have on hand are:

salt and pepper
    sea salt
    olive oil
    cooking wine
    fresh garlic and the bottled minced garlic in oil (found near the produce)
    a few bottles of seasonings (lemon and herb seasoning, creole seasoning, greek seasoning, etc. - the less sodium in these the better)
    boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cutlets, or tenders
    a bottle of lemon juice - goes great on steamed veggies with a little bit of sea salt
    whole wheat pasta - whatever shape you like, we usually have penne - whole wheat pasta took a little getting used to at first for me, but now I love it
    skim milk
    unsalted butter

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2009