Has your teen ever thretened suicide?

My son is mad because I will not let him go to a all night dace party. He just wrote me a letter and said " this is the only place I feel accepted and you wont let me go, so I am sitting here contemplating suicide. I think he likes himself to much to do something like that. Thoughts?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 6:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I havent any teens as of yet. But my lil brother had the habit of threatning my mom all the time. Especially when he didnt get his way. One day..he called me and told me he was thnkng about hurting himself. And not in the mood for his shit..i told him to call 911..because they would be there way b4 i would. lol He never did..thank god! But man after crying wolf time and time again..i was just so sick of it!
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 6:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I heard the exact same thing from my daughter when she was 14, last year. We finally put the limit on seeing a boy her age outside of school. (He's a bad influence on her, and he was quite rude to me, controlling, and needy with her) She was getting too involved and ignoring other things in her life. She told a friend of hers that she didn't feel accepted at home and maybe she'd be better off dead. Her friend told her mom and she, in turn called me and we confronted her on it, told her my therapist wants you in her office at 9 AM tomorrow, which was true. The look on her face when we asked her if she meant it was one I've never seen. It was "I can't believe my friend would tell on me...I was just being dramatic". She did go to the therapist, who didn't commit her because it was just talk. But there was no way to know for sure at that point. Teens hate limits and will say anything to get you to change your mind.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• LOL i'm 21 and i still threaten suicide. i just like attention, dont judge me :p
    Anonymous

• Call 911 and they will Chapter him into a psych ward for 72 hours. He will be under suicide watch , have nothing in his room and go through counseling. If he is just doing it for attention, he won't be doing it again. If he is serious, it will be a stepping stone for the help he needs.

To Anon 5:58pm, suicide is NEVER a joke and for you to admit to threatening it for the attention, is just horrible. I know people that have committed suicide and it is not funny. You really need to grow up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• my little sister used to threaten it all the time and we just ignored her because like all of you we thought it was just for attention well then she started cutting herself. talk to your son. he may be doing it for attention but he also may be serious. you dont know whats going on in his head.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Mine has when he was 18/19 just said he hates his life.... it was very upsetting but he has worked his way through it... They say suicide is the no. 1 killer of teenagers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• TESTING!!!! HE IS TESTING YOU, AND TRYING TO MANIPULATE YOU, BUT I WOULDN'T DISREGARD IT ALL TOGETHER EITHER, KEEP A THIRD EYE ON HIM, AND SUPERVISE, BUT DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN.

Answer by older at 11:14 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• ok i dont have a teenage child, i'm only 25 however, this story might help. when i was 15 my best friend/cousin committed suicide. almost same situation, his mom wouldnt let him go out (he had gotten in trouble at school so he was being punished) she went to work, came home that night and he had shot himself. not trying to scare you but any suicide threat should be taken very seriously. will he do it, maybe not, but you do not want that on your shoulders for the rest of your life if he does. also, remember this, women attempt suicide more, but men are twice as likely to "finish the job" because they use a violent act (i.e. shooting themselves). talk to him. let him know this is not a threat that will be taken lightly. and it is not a threat he can just toss around to "test" you. hope this helps.
    robbinsme

Answer by robbinsme at 3:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2009

• I struggled with depression as a child. Something very small to you can be the last straw for him. Teens dont really think things through or understand cause and effect like most adults do.

It doesn't matter if he was serious, or saying it to get a rise out of you. Like ANON 6:10's sister, no one took me seriously until it was almost too late. I've spent most of my teen life as a cutter, then I put myself in a coma, and it is only through an act of god that I made it through.

I only tell you this because all my life i have wished someone would have helped me when I was younger. I needed help badly and because of OTHER PEOPLE crying wolf, no one took me seriously. I was left to "get over it".

Don't assume he's being dramatic because other people's children do. There is always that one that is serious. Look at how many teens commit suicide...everyone thought they were 'testing' too.

It's better not to wait and see.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and yes, I got help as an adult. I don't struggle like I use to.I found the balance I needed in life. I haven't had an relapse or attempt in many years, and am now an extremely happy person, so even if it is real, getting him the help he needs can make a difference......and if it isn't than he needs a good scare, b/c it is no joke.
    Anonymous