When do you put a child in a booster seat instead of a carseat/convertable seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Kids one year and under, or who weigh 20 pounds or less, must ride in a rear-facing child safety seat.Kids between the ages of one and four, or who weigh from 20 to 40 pounds must ride in forward-facing child safety seat.Kids between the ages of four and six, or who weigh between 40 and 60 pounds must be secured in a booster seat.Kids six or older and who weigh over 60 pounds must wear a seat belt or ride in a booster seat.
    Anonymous

• When they out grow their forward facing car seat, my son is 2 and he's almost out grown his carseat and it says it goes up to age 5 but I don't think so! LOL It's whenever you feel ready, just look at the height and weight requirements and see if your child fits it.
    Anonymous

• I put my son in a booster when he met three requirements: height (40"), weight (40 lbs), and maturity - he would sit up, not unbuckle, follow all safety rules. He met all three shortly after he turned 3 years old.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Op here~ I was wondering because my SIL put my neice in a booster seat that the lap belt goes over her lap and the shoulder belt goes behind the seat. My neice will be three in Sept, and I guess she has been using the seat for five or six months. She might be 40 in, but I know she is not 40 lbs, shes only like 30 lbs. Is this OK?
    Anonymous

• Your niece is not safe like that. She shouldn't be in a booster at that age/weight, but if she IS in one, she should have her in it correctly!

I won't booster my kids until at least 65 lbs
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It depends on the law in your state. Ohio is 4 yrs and 40 lbs. I have been on this all day with grandparents.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My dd isn't even 3 yet and a grandparent had her in a booster. I refused to let her go until she bought a weight appropriate seat (I can't remove mine from my truck very easily) You can find it in my journal.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• OP here~ I looked up some more info and it looks like 40/40 is the law. Like I said, I KNOW she is not 40lbs. Im sorry to say, but I hope my SIL gets pulled over so she puts her back in a proper carseat. I cant say anything to her, shes mean and will take it very personaly. She wont take advice from anyone. Shes ones of those who is ALWAYS right and knows everything and no one can tell her different.
    Anonymous

• OP here again~ Also, I forgot that the 40/40 laws also said they have to be four years old. Like I said before, she is not even three yet.
    Anonymous

• Screw the law. Don't put your kid in a booster until they outgrow whatever seat is on the market that will harness them the longest.

Part of being in a booster is more than just meeting weight/height requirements. The child must sit in them correctly and there is a level of maturity that goes along with being able doing that. A child under 4 is probably not the best candidate for a booster.
    Anonymous