Pagans and other non-Christians

I was in the post office the other day filing out some of the forms or whatever to send out a box and my 4yr old said something to the stanger next to us that she didnt have a father. And this lady starts rambeling on about how we all have a father. Father God in heaven. blah blah blah. I said nothing and ignored her and told my son to stop talking to strangers (which is a typical ongoing battle for us). My son did not bring it up again. I think he was very confused.

I really had to bite my tounge. I almost told this lady to stop filling my sons head with her biased religious view points. I'm not anti-christianity. not by any means. I am Pagan and my kids know it but my aunt likes to take them to church and most of the family is Christian. no big deal. ...but there was just something about this lady or the way she said it that ticked me off.

What would you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I think I would have corrected my son and told him he does have a daddy. I'm not sure what the situation is, but he does still technically have a father. It was out of line for that lady to say that to your son. If (and i have had a couple of kids say that and other things to me) I don't even bring my religious beliefs into it. I always say something like, "I am sorry. But I bet your mommy loves you more then anything." So, it gives NO indication of religion whatsoever. It's wrong for other people to try to force their religion on kids, especially ones they don't know! There are people like that around here, though. They seem to think that most people around here are some form of Christian.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Honestly? I probably would have done the same thing you did. Hindsight's 20/20, unfortunately. I would have kicked my own ass later for not grilling her about it.

It was VERY out of line for that woman to say that.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• For mine I would've made a point to remind him (loudly, in front of her) about the talk we had about different people do different things, like some have Santa and some have Hannukah, and this lady has an extra Daddy.

But I would've focused more on the stranger thing. That was an issue for a while, but he's finally getting the hang of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I normally wouldn't answer this but, No one has any right to tell a 4 yo anything religious. That is up to the parents to decided what their children will be taught. All that does is confuse them. I would have stopped her and said excuse me but please keep your religious commentary to yourself, my son is way too young to have this conversation. I will deal with it myself at home. Thank you though for your concern.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Probibly the same thing you did. Making a scene would have only made non-Christian's look bad as a whole, it wouldn't have made any real difference with this lady, it would have just given her something to bitch about at bible study.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i would have just ignored her and told my son to stop talking to strangers.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• She was doing her best to uplift his spirit. I wouldn't have taken it so personal. (You may hate God, but he doesn't have to, and it is wrong to force him to.)
    Anonymous

• No one ever said she was "forcing" him to hate god. And, she never said she hated god either. She just doesen't follow the Chrsitian one. Would you like it anon if someone told your kid that they had a Mother and Father in heaven so they don't have to worry about the ones who are here? Sh even said that she allows her son to go to church with her aunt. So, how is that promoting a hate in the Christian god exactly?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I would've politely said to the lady "Excuse me, I don't think its appropriate for you to speak to my son about such a personal subject." This works in a few ways, it means religion and it could also mean for her not to encourage a child's discussion on things that are personal for you/your family.

Then I would've told my son (within ear shot of that lady) "That's what the lady believes, but not us. I'll explain to you more later." This opens the conversation for later and all aspects of it (his father, religion,etc) could be disscussed then.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I'm a Christian actually, and that makes me fairly uncomfortable. I would never speak to a child about something that could be that confusing. I mean, c'mon, that's just rude period. I generally don't address children about anything before addressing their parents. And I'm not into talking cliches about Christianity either. So, sorry on behalf of us all. That's just annoying.
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 8:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009