Pentagon calls for smoking ban among US soldiers...

"Pentagon health experts are urging US Defence Secretary Robert Gates to ban smoking by troops and end the sale of tobacco in PXs, the military base shops where cut-price cigarettes have always been a popular line.
And it’s all due to a new study revealing the hidden cost to America’s three million men and women serving in the US Army, Navy, Air Force, and the Reserve."

What do you think of this? Is this fair?

I'm undecided.

GrungeMum

Asked by GrungeMum at 6:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I personally don't think it's fair. It is not a drug, and these men and women are dying for our country. Let them smoke if they want. If they want to ban smoking, do it first to the general public, not the troops.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I was thinking that way as well. I mean, what else do they really have out there. And after some of the things they have seen. I would be shocked if they didn't smoke. Cigarettes may be bad for you. But they are calming. Something, i think most soldiers should be.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 6:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think they should also be able to have a beer when they're not actively fighting!
    Anonymous

• Ohh, tough one!

On one hand, they are defending our country and should be able to use cigarettes to relax if they need/want too (especially since they can't drink in field) What good is fighting for American rights if you can't express those rights yourself?

But, on the other hand, they signed their lives over to the government when they signed their contracts...so, the govt has a right to protect its investment/property. And since they are expected to stay in shape/good health in order to be capable of going into battle, then I can see why they would want to ban it.

Offically, I'm on the fence!

ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It is not a drug

It is a drug. An addictive one at that. There are reasonable arguments for it besides that. How much harder is it to breathe in a confined space in the desert for smokers vs. non-smokers? Same goes for things like running, carrying heavy equipment, and a lot of the other more physical tasks that sometimes need to be done in harsh conditions. It would be less fair to say no smoking for infantry but you desk jockeys go right ahead. Better to ban it across the baord.
    Anonymous

• How can it be ok for the Commander in Chief to light up, but not the troops?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It certainly is a tough one. And, i'm a smoker.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 7:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I say let them have their smokes why take away everything. I do believe smokes are a drug and very addicting at that but they help relieve stress for some people. hey *desk jockeys* get stuck doing the heavy work too. Hell some get stuck right in the infantry unit. Some get stuck work 24 hours 6 hours off then another 24 hours on. It sucks but its reality. Why don't they ban those nasty a$$ generators who smoke is 100x times worse than a cigarette, at least a cigarette you can get away from.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 7:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think long term it's a good idea, but how would the implement it. Immediate ban on sales and everyone fend for themselves? Just add Chantix to the water supply? (I'm kidding - yes, I know it has some nasty side effects) I would think anyone on active duty overseas, especially those who are in the field or have high stress jobs, would not be in the best circumstances to just quit cold turkey. Take a bunch of stressed out guys with guns in close quarters and take away their cigarettes. No, there won't be any violent outbursts or broken hands there, not at all!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Haha to NotPanicking.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 7:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2009