Behavior at home vs. school/camp

I am at my wits end with my son!! He is a well behaved 6 year old when he's home, during sports activities, etc..when me and dh are around. In school/camp its another story! He is constantly picking up bad words and using them in school!! Never at home...he also disobeys teachers and staff! While he is getting better the issue is still there. We have punished, talked, spanked, etc. He shows remorse, apologizes, etc. I just need some mature advice. Remember this is at school/camp only! Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• OMG please message me if you would like to talk more about this. I have the EXACT same problem with my 6yo stepson. He is an angel at home and a monster at school!!! I can't ever find anyone who has this problem - it's always the opposite!! Mine does the same thing - comes home and says that he got in trouble for something and that he's sorry and won't do it again. Then he does it again. He's the class clown - and he can't handle himself AT ALL in any of the special classes like gym or art...it is so upsetting. i know the teachers think we must let him get away with murder at home - but we don't!! He's at the top of his class as far as education goes - he's seriously almost scary smart for his age. I wonder if that has something to do with it...of course I have convinced myself that we are doing SOMETHING wrong but I have no idea what! We've tried everything! I'm already sick just thinking about school starting again.........
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• (me again) and of course since he lives with me and my husband because his mom basically decided she didn't want him anymore all the teachers think we need to send him to therapy...if he needed therapy wouldn't we see this behavior at home??? He is a happy kid, he does NOT need therapy....I think it's just an easy way out for them to say that. We've even talked about changing schools!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Perhaps he is acting out bc he is bored? If his IQ is on the high end, he may find that school/camp is not stimulating him enough. My bf has that problem with her son, who scored off the charts on all his tests. Perhaps you can talk to the teachers about assigning him extra stuff, or extra assignments so he is more challenged! Good luck ;)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 7:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I agree with the first two posts that boredom could be causing him to misbehave.

However, if he's an only child the change may be because when he is interacting with other kids his behavior is different. Kids act very differently in different settings. You could ask to observe him at school or ask the teacher to keep an anecdotal record of exactly how he is misbehaving. That might help you get a better handle on it.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I have the opposite problem. He is well behaved at school but a brat at home, so I really can't help other than to say he is probably bored at school/camp.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2009