used breastpumps?

breastpumps are super pricey and i was wondering if its sanitary to get a used one?

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is, but you have to buy new hoses, bc those cannot be properly sanitized in a dishwasher, or with boiling water, etc. That's what my doc told me at least :) I have a used one that my bf gave me (cost her like 200$) and all I had to do was spend $3 on new hosing. Good luck!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 7:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• definitely - and all the attachments are really cheap so I would HIGHLY recommend borrowing one if possible!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Unless it is a manual pump that can be autoclaved, a used breastpump is NOT a good idea. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/pump.html

catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 7:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I got mine on ebay. I got a medela double pump for 80 plus shipping. I replaced all of the parts that could or do touch the milk and breast: Cones, bottles and tubing. The motor is the pricey part. All the sanitary stuff can be replaced for less than 30.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Mine was given to me by a women from my church. I wouldn't have used one from just anyone but I knew that this lady was a VERY clean person and I cleaned it myself as well. As long as you are careful about it it should be fine. I found out after I had been using mine for a while that you should replace the tubes no matter what... they are not expensive. But I didn't know that until after I had used mine for a while and I never had a problem. Just be careful where you get it from and replace the tubing and cups if need be.
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Honestly... you may not even need one.
    And if you truly do, it's worth waiting at least 4 weeks until your milk is established and picking up a new one then. If you truly need one it's well worth the investment.
    Anonymous

• I bought a used one off of craigslist. Her milk was already dried up and she was trying to re-establish it. She owned it for only 3 months and used it for about 2 weeks. I took it apart and cleaned it, bought new bottles and tubes, and I still use it. I love it so much, its the Medela Pump In Style Advanced.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 3:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2010