Can I do fruit salad the day before or will it get all mushy and gross?

I have some watermelon, cantaloupe and pineapple that I need to cut up for a bbq tomorrw, will it get yucky if I do it tonight?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 7:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It will be so much better tomorrow so it will be fresh. You could still do it tonight and it will be okay, just cover w/ plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge. But I'd do it the day of to make it really good.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• They should be OK. Better the same day, but I often have watermelon and cantaloupe for several days after cutting them and they are fine. Pineapple I don't have as often, but it should be fine, too. I might sprinkle a little orange juice over it, but it shouldn't need it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I would prob. wait till tomorrow. Esp. if you are going to do a fruit dressing, b/c watermelon has a tendency to lose some of its juice and it would make the dressing runny.

Have you thot about cutting the watermelon into a bowl shape and serving it all back into it?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It should be ok but it would be much better if cut fresh the day you are going to eat it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I would cut everything up and store separately; mix at the last minute so the fruits retain their individual flavors

Answer by rkoloms at 10:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2009