Another stupid question

My daughter is 6 weeks old and is having trouble pooping..She will cry and scream as she tries to push out her poop.. It breaks my heart for her... My dr is still out on vacation.. Is this normal? My mom thinks it's because I feed her too much but she only eats 4 oz every three hrs and she has been eating that much for over 2 weeks.. she started her pooping problem today. Is mom right? Is 4ozs too much for her?? is it normal not to be able to poop for her size sometimes?? what am I doing wrong? How can I help her?

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 7:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At six weeks old that doesn't sound like to much to me. You could if you are formula feeding give 2 oz. of apple juice mixed with 2 oz. of water before a meal 1 time a day. If you are breast feeding then I would say not to do that. You can also try inserting a rectal thermometer to help stimulate her to poop. A lot of babies get constipated. A breastfed baby can go 5-7 days with out pooping. A formula fed baby can go 3. If she is painful i would try to contact your peds. emergency referral Doctor. They should have one.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Give her 4 ounces of pedialyte next feed... and next time breast feed you'll both benefit
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Melrn-How do you know she's not pumping and putting it in a bottle? Mind your own.
    Give a little juice and water before you feed a meal it should help if not call another Ped.
    Anonymous

• A six week old baby should not have trouble pooping, but It doesn't sound like your feeding her too much. I would agree that a little juice (diluted with water) would help. Just don't make it a habit of it shes awfully young for the extra sugar. Be prepared that while it will help her bowels move she may cramp from not being used to anything other than milk. And not to be rude to the first answer but breast fed babies have more bowel movements because their poop is runny if they don't have at least one dirty diaper a day its because they arent getting enough milk from you.
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• jsut a reply to but mommie, i was told by a lady who works in the nursery that giving apple juice at such a young age is not to good for the babys
    Anonymous

• I don't know anything about formula - but I will say that if she were eating too much she would just spit it up so don't worry about that! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I used suppositories, you can get them at target for like $2 .but call the nurse helpline or after hours care first. Depends if you are berastfeeding it could have been something you ate, if its formula, she could not be tolerating it?? Also kids go through fussy stages at this age during growth spurts or whatnot that could seem like the same intensity of crying. My son had pooping issues since birth and at this age, many Dr's don't recommend using juice or laxitives often because your child can become dependant on that and may not learn to stool on their own. Also, I used miralax - it is not a stimulant,. its just reacts with your body to help produce more water and help push the stool out - non habit forming also - but once again, ask first.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Since my ped is on vacation I called the hospital where she was born at.. She is formula fed because when she first came home they didnt want me to breastfeed they wanted me to pump and put in the bottle so we could monitor how much she was eating (She was born a month early and not a good eater in the hospital) then I found out I was infected from my c section and wouldnt be allowed to give her breastmilk because of the antibiotics he put me on...Then when I finished those (even though I was doing the pump and dump during the 2 weeks of antibiotics) I could only get 10cc out of both breast and i was having to pump every 2 hrs to get that.. and I tried to get her to latch on so I could produce more milk but by then she had been on the bottle for over 3 weeks and couldn't get her to latch. Even went to a lactation consultant. She has been on the same formula since birth. Similac Advanced Early shield..She hasn't ever had a prob
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 11:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• pooping until today..I called the nurse in the NICU where she was after she was born and they suggested I take a wet wipe and hold her legs up like I am going to wipe her and apply gentle pressure with the wipe under her butthole to help push it out.. That DIDNT go over well at all.. Didn't help and made Gwen hella upset. My husband thinks it's the opposite problem than what my mom thinks.. he thinks she is dehydrated (which i dont know how she can be considering she is eating every 2.5-3 hrs and eating a full 4 ozs...I just feel so lost and heartbroken cause I can't soothe her cries and it's only when she tries to poo.. It literally has like playdough consistansy
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 11:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2009