What would you do? Just hold your tongue?

I have a not very close friend who has a 7 month old. She lets her baby eat table food. I don't mean pureed carrots with no spices, I mean at restaurants she lets her baby eat off her plate. In the last two days, I watched the baby eat: ice cream, chocolate chip pancakes, eggs (over easy) and french fries. I've also seen her let the baby at 5 months suck on a carrot that was part of a stir fry. Another thing she said that didn't seem right, she makes up three bottles before going to bed, then just grabs on in the night (off of her night stand) and gives it to the baby. Do you leave bottles at room temp that long? I don't know, I breastfed, so that's really just a question.

But isn't this baby too young to be just munching on random table foods? I'm not saying anything, she's not my best friend or a family member, so I'm not comfortable with that, but it just doesn't seem right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know, in our culture we use baby food, but many cultures don't. Babies grow up fine in those cultures. I do think that that's way too long for formula to sit out.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• 7 months old is not too young to be eating table foods IF the baby is ready. Some babies don't tolerate any food until way after 7 months, some as early as 4 months. As far as the formula on the nightstand for 8+ hours... GROSS!!! I don't drink milk that has been out of the fridge for more than 5 min, and I would NEVER expect my kids too either. Obviously formula is not milk, but close enough. I would defiantly inform her about formula going bad overnight (but in a nice way). :) Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Not it's not right at all for the baby to be eating all of that. Eating from the plate is just trashy. I would maybe ask her have she tried this or that to see if maybe she just doesn't know better. I wouldn't just tell her she is wrong because she will get upset. I've learned making someone mad can just make the issue worst.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• once in a while i think its fine to give infants a taste of some table food. But theres a differnce in one lick of your ice cream and feeding the baby spoonfuls of it. I breastfeed also however I work at a childcare facility and every class i've attended says that formula is to be left at room temperature for no more than 4 hours. Overnight is just absured!
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I don't really think it is your place to say whether or not you agree with her parenting abilities. To answer your question frankly, yes, I would hold my tongue. It's not your baby and not up to you what goes in it's body. However, leaving formula out all night is gross.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Some 7 months do fine with table food... but it sounds like what she's giving her baby isn't the safest or healthiest options (too soon for eggs, even worse if the yolk's undercooked, too much sugar in ice cream, etc). My second daughter at 7 months loved table food... but we only gave her the small selection of things her system could handle. For the formula, you could suggest she use a completely dried bottle and put dry formula in it, and an unopened water bottle next to that. Then all she has to do in the night is mix. That's if you choose to say something at all. I would do it in a friendly way... how she feeds her child is, ultimately, her choice.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• yep, keep it yourself. If she is not close to you, she would probably not be interested in your opinion and you will end up just making yourself angry!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My baby is 7 months old....she eats anything that is soft that we eat. she is chewing and everything so.....as long as it is soft and small.....we will let her try it. Granted she doesn't eat LOTS of it........but I'm not going to eat something in front of her and not let her try it. And...she isn't fat either.......she's in the 25th percent. for her weight. Now the bottles............that's not good at all...they are only suppose to be out 2 hours....then they need to be thown away. And only 1 hour if the baby has drank from the bottle.
    Anonymous

• 7 months is not too soon for a child to have table food. If the child is ready for table food then its fine to give it to them. I wouldnt recommend giving the baby carrot sticks or anything that would be a choke hazard. The mother could choose healthier foods for the child but, I dont see it problem with feeding the baby table food. However, I think that giving the baby eggs at that age is too early some doctors will say. As far as the formula, it should not be left at room temperature no longer than 2 hours. That is not healthy to give the baby the formula if it is sitting out that long. It could upset the baby's stomache. I think she is just lazy and dont want to get up and fresh bottles during the night.
    If the only problem you have is with the table feeding and formula then she does not exactly make her an unfit parent.
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 8:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• if u say something she might go from kinda a friend to not a friend its the health of her baby...im sure she knows its not the healthiest foods but she also might not care. Ive seen babies as soon as they can chew munching on candy and I dont say anything because its not my baby and the parent knows that its not the best but thats their choice....so if its unbarable to be around just dont go near her and her baby so u dont have an urge to butt in.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2009