is sudafed safe?

ok. i have heard both that it is and that it is not. is sudafed pe (phenylephrine hydrochloride 10 mg) safe when you are pregnant? i am 15 weeks . i know taht the allergy meds that use loratadine 10 mg are safe, but was not sure about the phenylephrine hydrochloride 10 mg. i found conflicting info online.

raineslibramom

Asked by raineslibramom at 7:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sudafed is safe.. I was prescribed it during the first trimester of my pregnancy. You can also use Tylenol Nighttime as well. Hope this helps!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 7:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I would say no because these are class C drugs. Class C means that it can't be determined whether it is dangerous or not. Better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps :0)
    LilMommie86

Answer by LilMommie86 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• my ob said it was fine to take. I think it is a personal choice and something to discuss with your OB/GYN.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• okay. ladies thank you for youranswers. i was off doing more research via the internet, a call to the local pharmacy, and a call to my doctors on call nurse. here is what i found out from the dr/ nurse and the pharmacist. they both said the same thing. REGULAR SUDAFED IS SAFE (low risk) but they recommended the 4-6 hr formula (not the 8 or 12 hr formulas). SUDAFED PE IS NOT SAFE. if you look at the ingredients on the label, LORATADINE OR PSEUDOEPHEDRINE ARE SAFE. PHENYLEPHRINE IS NOT SAFE. just because they are seen as safe (low risk) you should still use caution when using them during pregnancy and only take them under dr supervision, and only as needed. do not take them to prevent sympoms, but only to treat symptoms that you have.
    raineslibramom

Answer by raineslibramom at 9:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2009