What are the do's and don'ts of eating?

Can you eat shrimp when you're pregnant? I love seafood (shrimp and crab meat). Also can you have the tea bags that are caffine free? And last does anyone have any proven home remedies that help ease nausea? Thanks.

aquarian26

Asked by aquarian26 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Do eat: a lot of fruit and veggies and whole grains. Basically eat all the healthy food you want (with in reason lol) Do satisfy cravings
    Don't eat: Seafood more than 2 times a week or have a cup of anything with caffeine more that 1-2 times a day. Some say avoid green tea (I don't buy it) Don't go over board with cravings If you crave chocolate cake then try to have a small slice and not the whole cake. :0)
    Nausea: Try sea bands and peppermint tea. Alsl sleep with saltines by your bed and in the am before you move eat 2 or 3 of them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• well, i don't eat seafood, so maybe someone else could help you with that one lol. i do know about the tea though. in early pregnancy you should not drink green tea bc it inhibits the absorption of folic acid (increasing your chances of spinal bifida). but anyway, 'decaffinated' tea still has 10mg caffiene per cup so if you drink it a lot it adds up. alot of herbal teas are naturally caffiene free, so if you like that it's a better choice. i had morning, afternoon and night sickness with my second baby lol. i was constantly throwing up for the first 5 months. i found that drinking cammomile tea really settled my tummy and helped with the nausea. my friend also had morning sickness and she used to eat candied ginger everymorning and it helped her alot. i personally think that ginger is gross, so that was not going to help me lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• keep water with u at all times and eat saltine crackers before u get out of bed and make sure u eat small amounts of food all day eat like 3 small meals and like 4-5 snacks that will keep u from geting so nauseaded
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 8:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• yes you can have shrimp and crab meat.. I asked my nutritionist about seafood because I too love crabs and shrimp and so does my entire family.. you can have up to 12 oz of either a week..
    (this info can also be found on marchofdimes.com)

and as for nausea eat small meals 4-6 times a day
    drink liquids between meals instead of with meals
    avoid spicy, greasy or fried foods
    eat crackers, dry toast, dry cereal, or hard candies like peppermints
    open windows to avoid odors or have a fan near you
    try drinking caffeine free carbonated drinks
    (and this is a list she also have me because I was feeling sick 24-7)

good luck and I hope this helps
    SweetPea102689

Answer by SweetPea102689 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If you are talking about blue crab meat you shouldn't eat the "mustard" which happens to be my favorite part and when i found out that i was bummed but as stated above no more than 2 times a week and you are supposed to limit fish intake to 6 oz. . And peppermint helped the nausea and eat every 2 hours (small meals) so you dont get hungry i would get sick when i waited more than 2 hours to eat.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2009