At work..question came up, can you help me

Whats the difference between a baptisim and a christening...is there one?!

Thanks..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A Christening is a dedication to God and where a child receives their God-given name. They are dedicated to the church and considered to be "reborn." Christenings are done in the Catholic, Episcopal and Lutheran faiths.

A Christening can also include a Baptism by sprinkling (all of the Christenings I've ever went to did). I believe in the Catholic faith, Baptism is done to remove "original sin."

A Baptism does not necessarily refer to emersion but is usually synonymous with a believer's baptism as an adult. However, many Christian denominations, such as Presbyterian, do infant Baptism (which the Christening part is not included). It is a dedication of the parents to raise the child in the church and the church to help the parents in return as well as an invocation of the Holy Spirit to dwell with the child so that the child may be one day lead to have faith in Jesus.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I THINK christening is being sprinkled with water and baptism is being completely submerged into the water
    LilMommie86

Answer by LilMommie86 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think it depends on the religion, but a christening traditionally is when you give your baby a name and blessing... they may or may not be sprinkled with water... like I said, it depends on the faith. A baptism, by definition also differs from religion to religion, but that is when a person is submerged, or otherwise sprinkled with water as a symbol of washing away their sins. That's my take on it, and neither of those definitions jives with my religion, but we don't have christenings per se. Our baptisms are full immersion though. FYI
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I was baptised in the Catholic Church by sprinkling of water. I personally don't believe there is a difference.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 8:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• my son was christened (dedicated) as a baby and baptized later after accepting Christ (full submerssion).
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• bonn777's answer seems right on to me
    =D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Hmmm, I always thought that the christening was the sprinkling version of infant baptism. Still baptism, though.

I could be mistaken (I often am).
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 11:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I find this all really interesting..Members of the LDS Church... Don't get christened but rather blessed at birth... No water is involved... When you reach the age of 12 that's when you have reached the age to baptised... I love learning about others religions.. It really is pretty fascinating.
    AMBsMOMMY

Answer by AMBsMOMMY at 11:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I was taught that christening is done only on babies. It is more about the parents dedicating their child to Christ and agreeing to raise their child in the Christian faith. This is traditionally when babies were given their "Christian" name as well. Some denominations call this "infant baptism" which may be where some of the confusion comes from. Baptisms are primarily for older children and adults who are consciously choosing to dedicate themselves to the Christian faith. Whether they are sprinkled or submerged has more to do with that particular church's views on what constitutes a "true" baptism. Some denominations believe that only full submersion makes it official while others think that symbolic sprinkling is acceptable.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2009