Would anybody even consider having an abortion if they knew their child would have special needs such as autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• NO. NOT BECAUSE OF AUTISM, DOWS SYNDROM, MISSING ARMS OR LEGS, NOT IF I WERE RAPED, SINGLE, POOR, SICK, OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT MIGHT CONSTITUTE A VALID "REASON" SOME MIGHT USE TO JUSTIFY ABORTION. NOTHING COULD EVER CAUSE ME TO ABORT AN INNOCENT BABY.

Anonymous

• Absolutely not.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If I knew (100%) that the child would die within the first hours or days of life, I may abort. If the child would just have special needs, I certainly would not.
    Anonymous

• NOPE NO WAY NO HOW!!!!

My dd has autism and I can tell you she is the most wonderful child and keeps me going and striving for her.

How terrible that someone would abort a child just b/c they are not their idea of "perfect" WHO of us are perfect....NONE! I am glad our parents kept us despite our different needs!!!

Horrible!
    Anonymous

• I personally would not, but I also wouldn't judge anyone else who might. I'm not in their situation.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 8:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• nope. My brother died at ten months old because of a heart defect that my parents knew about throughout their pregnancy. They had this horrible OB who asked them at every visit if they wanted to abort. No thanks. Personally, that's the reason I don't even get those tests done. Because what is it going to change?
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 8:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• No way... I read an article that said in time we may find Autism to be a gift rather than a curse. We will find ways to use the differences as "gifts" rather than something to pity. I do not have an autistic child so I am in no way minimizing the struggles of those families, I am just saying we are just really starting to study and understand differences and we will make real progress on how we view/treat those differences!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Autism? Absolutely NOT!!!

Both of my children have autism (high functioning), and they have taught me more about what is important in life than anything in my life thus far.

Sure, it's been challenging, but we have made so much improvement to the point that they are BOTH in REGULAR EDUCATION classrooms 80% of their day, and just pulled out to work on new concepts and reading comp.

Oh, and they're going into Kindergarten and 2nd grade in the fall! We did it with a TON of intervention and conventional therapies, and NO medications or special diets. They have and will continue to receive their vaccinations, and my husband and I have absolutely no doubt they will earn college degrees, and become independent, productive, and contributing members of society--it's just going to take them a little longer and lot more patience to get there!

They also swim independently, play soccer, baseball, and ride horses! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I am the one who posted the question. I am SO glad to hear these responses. I saw some postings at an earlier time from people saying that they would and hearing that hurt me immensely because I have a special needs child whom I adore.
    Anonymous

• Nope.

I specifically asked not to have that amniotic fluid test because I didn't think it was worth the risks when I knew good and well that I would keep and cherish my baby no matter what.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2009