Modular Homes...

Okay so i think thats what theyre called. sorry if im wrong. but has anyone ever owned one of these?! theres a place near where im living now and these homes look SOOO pretty on the outside, and im thinking maybe this would make a decent 1st home, any advice or opinions, my co worker says a trailor would be better because its bigger?! Lemme know, also any adice on finding a lot to put the house on would be appreciated!! Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• Modular homes seems to be well built, moreso then a mobile home per say......but for the price you could get a nice NEW home for $150,00 as I have seen some prices go up to $300K for modular and you could get a nice starter home for less perhaps?

Maybe even with a basement, depending where you live for more space for the money.

http://www.nhmodularhomes.com/prices.htm

A new subdivision near me has new construction homes for $120K with 1,500 sq ft. and that's not bad for the sq ft you get!  $90k for a 2 bedroom townehome.

But there is not alot of storage, true. And if you own the land it is better then paying lot rent...etc.

Good luck on what you decide. It is best to go inside them and check them out for yourself. Triple wides are pretty unique too and start at about $50K on up.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• You can get them in any size. They are REALLY well made. I'd say go for it. My SIL has one and it is super nice.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 8:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I just moved out of mine and am trying to sell. But, yes they really are nice and they have a lot of space! They don't have a lot of storage space though, thats the only downfall.
    LilMommie86

Answer by LilMommie86 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• They are usually bigger than trailers. In the mobile home park in my city, there are modular homes that cost over $150,000!! And that doesn't include lot rent. They are nicer than the house that I live in and bigger. If I could, that is what I would do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My cousin has one and its nice. They don't have a lot of personality though. Hers is on her own piece of land and on a full basment too.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We were looking at getting a manufactured home. I found one that I fell in love with years ago. Back then it was $96,000 and now it ranges from $110,000-$160,000. Thats not including the property and hookups. In our area to build a house you can figure about $100 per a square foot. The square footage of the house that I love is like 2300. My Husbands Lt use to build houses for a living, he looked at the one we wanted and said that they looked well built, they would have to be to be able to hold up driving down the interstate and being moved.
    We ended up buying a brick house built in the 70's with about 1400 square feet. It has been updated on the inside and has 2 1/2 bathrooms and it cost us $98,000.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Well, thanks ladies, after looking at the cost to pay to have the foundation and everything else ready, it will double the cost of the house so dont know what im going to do!!! thanks for your help though!!! and the website was awesome!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2009