how do i get my 8 very soon to be 9 yr old to stop peeing one the bed???

I have done everything from taking my son to the doctor and doing everything the doctor told me to do to getting him up every hour but somewhere bettween the times I get him up he pees on the bed and im desprate I really dont know what to do anymore, I dont want to make him feel bad for what happens to him. But its really starting to take a toll on me, im getting irritated from having to remove the smell from his room everyday. Can someone please shead me some light??? Im going crazy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd see another doctor. That's rather old to be having accidents, he could have a serious issue.
    Anonymous

• maybe he is scared of the dark to get up to pee. Get him a nightlight if he does not have one already
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Try bedtime pull-ups and the bedroom and bathroom nightlights. Worked for me.
    fuelsgirl2

Answer by fuelsgirl2 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Obvioulsy, there is something wrong if waking him up every hour isn't working. On top of that, your child isn't getting proper sleep! I would take him to a pediatric urologist and see if he has an underdeveloped bladder or an overactive bladder. Have him wear Overnights to bed, they look like regular underware. My son's friend has bladder problems and she can keep him from drinking, 6 hours before bed and he will still wet the bed. He is on meds to help and he is 11 yrs old. Some boys have bladder problems and bedwetting issues until they are into puberty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Poor baby! There is a product called ODOBAN that might help. It is a disinfectant and deodorizer.

And I would definitely have a second opinion made for my son, if the first set of suggestions weren't working.
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 11:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I had a problem with wetting the bed all the way up until 6th grade. I have always just had an overactive bladder. I eventually grew out of it but my mom put me in some sort of pull us so i didnt ruin the bed every night. I would also get a second opinion.....and also consider stress as a trigger. I was adopted and going through the rocess i think prolonged my bedwetting even longer..hoe it helps. good luck
    Anonymous

• Ok, IF this doctor honestly checked him to make sure it isn't physical, then stop worrying. Put him in those night time diapers. ALOT of boys have this issue all the way up until puberty. Usually by then it stops. I had a friend whose son wet until he was almost 13, no physical problems, he was just a really heavy sleeper. Her daughter also wet until she was 12, same story.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:12 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Heis NOT too old to be a bedwetter. Bedwetters are all ages over 5 yrs old. I have seen boys wet until they were in their teens. First you need to change your perspective about this. Stop the frustration. No matter how frustrated you are....your child is TWICE as frustrated. This is not his fault and its not in his control. Its likely not a medical problem either. If you have taken him to his ped and he has ruled out a UTI or any other medical issue, then his problem is likely genetics, being a sound sleeper, as well as having an overactive bladder. If this is the case, then you can get him up 3 times a night and he might still wet. Stop doing that. It only causes you to lose sleep and him. My son is 7 1/2 and still a bedwetter. He SOAKS his goodnight...everynight. He is my second bedwetter. The bladder has to mature enough to begin to send signals to the brain that its full and in turn wakes the child up. CONT>
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• your child is not getting those signals. It takes time for the bladder to mature completely. Especially in boys. I have had people tell me that chiropractic can alleviate bed wetting too. I dont know the reality of that ,but its worth a try. Try to just keep in mind that this will go on until his body begins to mature. Stop waiting for it to end. One day, it will literally disappear. It does eventually stop. Thats a fact. My daughter wet until she was 11 and at age 8, her doc gave me a medication called DDAVP for her. It comes in pill form and nasal spray and it worked very well. She hated when she was out of it. It can be pricey though, even after insurance. Its worth trying if its your last resort. If he is willing to wear the goodnights or underjams, then let him. It wont make it worse, or prolong it, but it will keep his room from smelling. I know the smell very well. Make him help you with sheets and dont mention it. GL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:37 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• This sounds odd but take him to a good chiropractor!! My chiropractor treats kids who are bedwetters and has good success!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:43 AM on Jul. 11, 2009