Anyone ever made onion rings at home?

Is it easy to do? I'm new to the world of "fried foods" LOL.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• yes i have the best recipe and it's soooo easy but I wont tell you! .........................No I'm just kidding. At our stores we have Krusteaz pancake mix (you just mix as directions say for pancake batter and dip your rings into it and fry till golden) - This makes the best lightly sweet onion rings ever! You can serve with ranch dressing if desired! (If your in a pinch and your store doesn't carry this brand do buy a GOOD sweet brand not generic)(also make sure it is a complete mix -just add water)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 8:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I do it all the time. I use a recipe out of my mom's old Betty Crocker cookbook - 3/4 c all purpose flour, 1/2 c milk, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp salt, and I add pepper or Goya Adobo seasoning. Combine with an electric mixer til well blended. Slice onions into rings, dip into batter, and fry until golden brown. Salt immediately after removing from oil. They are out of this world delicious. Especially if you can get Vidalia onions to make them with. OK, I know what I'm making this weekend. LOL
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I like my onion rings to be skinny and greasy-crispy, and this works for me.

Heat about 4 inches of oil in a big pot to 350. Slice onions thinly and soak them in tabasco sauce. Shake off the extra tabasco and then dredge them in seasoned flour. Toss 'em in a handful at a time and fry 'til crispy brown. Remove and drain. Salt if needed.

If you want thickly crusted onion rings, do a beer batter (seasoned flour and beer) and drop into the oil one onion slice at a time.

The tabasco does NOT make it hot and spicy, just really yummy flavor.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2009