how do i potty train my 21 month old son?

i want to potty train my son but have no clue how to go about doing it. my husband wants me to just let him run around naked and when he startes to go, put him on the potty. but i have a baby so i can't keep my eye on him constantly to do so.

meglennox

Asked by meglennox at 8:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just be patient. Introduce him to the potty. Let him know what it's for. Take him to the bathroom with you and tell him what you're doing. Set him on the potty before his bath. 21 months is still pretty young. Chances are he's not quite ready, but you never know! It's never too early to introduce it to him. He will let you know when he wants to go.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• You are supposed to look for signs if he is even ready for potty training or it will be pointless if he's not ready. my son is 20 months old and just started telling us when he has to poop and we run into the bathroom and sit him on the potty and cheer but that isn't working either..lol!! he just sits right back up and claps, He just isn't ready. From what I read, most kids aren't ready until 2 or after.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i don't know if my son is ready yet but he keeps taking off his diapers. he does it several times a day. sometimes they're full and sometimes i had just put it on. i don't want to push him but it's a challenge every time i change his diaper, he won't lay still.
    meglennox

Answer by meglennox at 10:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Your husband is on the right track. We went straight to underwear at 19 1/2 months and DS was staying clean and dry and using the potty all the time, at home or away, within 8 days. Waiting for them to start going and sitting them on the potty is key. My child was also non-verbal, and it worked well. I have a 21-year-old son as well, and I have been a nanny since 1987. I've used this method since that time with quite a lot of toddlers and it's the most effective. I know it will be a challenge with a baby, but it's worth it.

http://raisingrocco.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/potty_trained_under_two/

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:09 AM on Jul. 11, 2009