Did your mil HATE the names you picked out for your baby?

UGH! Mine did, and she thought that she was going to be a part of the decision-making process-WRONG! DH and I picked "Aaron James", but SHE didn't like it, because "there are so many 'James' in the family...we don't need another one!" Whatever lady. We went with Aaron James anyway. We didn't ask for her opinion.

The next time we have a baby, we're keeping the name (and the gender) a secret from his mother!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• As soon as she knew I was pregnant, my MIL started thinking of names, especially when we found out it was going to be a boy. Automatically, she wanted it to be a Jr, but my husband nixed that (and I would have went with THAT if hubby said he wanted to) so then she started in on family names. She didn't care about MY family, just her side of the family. I finally told my hubby I was tired of it and so we just decided to name our baby a name that wasn't in either side of the family. Nathan Alexander means 'A gift from God' and 'a strong king (as in Alexandeer the Great)'. I like that name, and so does hubby, so there ya go. She just had to deal.
    Mrs.Frazzle

Answer by Mrs.Frazzle at 12:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My MIL doesnt like any of the names DH and I have thought of. My husband is the 3rd and she wants my baby to be the 4th. DH and I decided to give the baby his own name. Before we knew he was a boy she wanted us to name a girl Essence... Eew! LOL No way
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 8:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• DON'T TELL ANYONE YOUR NAMES! Seriously, if I could do it over. Find names YOU like and keep them secret. Everyone has an opinion, even MIL's. :-) Mine made faces at our choices and even complained about the way I spelled my daughter's name . . . actually both MIL and FIL. And other people always had something to say . . . like they once knew someone by that name and they didn't like them at all . . . lol.

Seriously, don't tell a soul. Drop the conversation off the radar and choose the name you love. Choosing a child's name is soooo special and only happens a few times in this life.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 8:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My MIL is very good about the whole name thing and if she doesn't like the name we picked out, she has not let on. My mom, on the other hand, I was worried about so I warned her ahead of time that she probably wouldn't like whatever name we picked out and she should practice saying "that's a lovely name dear" because I don't want to hear about it if she doesn't like it. She also has not said anything against it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• MY MOM THOUGHT SHE COULD NAME MY CHILD IF I HAD A GIRL, NOT ONLY PICK THE NAME BUT NAME HER AFTER HER...LOL WOW HOW FAR OFF SHE WAS....BU MY AUNT HATED THE NAME I PICKED OUT...MY SONS NAME IS TORREN XAVIER, WE BOTH LIKED IT?! I DONT PLAN ON LETTING ANYONE ELSE DICTATE MY SONS OR DAUGHTERS NAME!! THEYRE MY KIDS
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• dont have a MIL cuz she died years ago before I met her but his grandma was all bitchy and we just ignored her...LOL I dont give a crap about what her opinion was cuz my response if she would have been rude after being ignored was "why dont you have a baby of your own and pick its name" that wudda got her
    Anonymous

• I know my mil doesn't care for names that we have picked out. We have a list of names that we have had since we were dating and we just go down the list when we get pregnant. This is the first girl and she doesn't like the name. It is Mary Catherine after my grandmother and we are going to call her Kate. My mil hasn't outright said she doesn't like it but has made comments such as, as least she is going by Kate.
    Anonymous

• My MIL doesn't like the fact that we are making this baby a 4th, naming him after his father. She is divorced from my DH"s father and definitely opposed to the name bc its her ex's name as well. Bleh, I don't care though.. I'm naming my son as I see fit; its MY decision. Once the baby gets here, she won't care what his name is as long as she gets to hold him too :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• No, but my husbands granmonther told us that my daughter's name was made up~? lol (my daughter's name is Faith)
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 9:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• No, we have a Jr so we picked the same name she did!
    Anonymous