We just had dinner with a soldier returning from Afghanistan.

My family and I had dinner at the Olive Garden tonight ( cheesy I know) anyhoo, after we ordered our meal a family of 5 walks in and the dad was in his uniform. During our meal our oldest was all chatty about whether or not he was coming home or leaving, for how long, if he was coming home how long did he have before he was suppose to go back. At some point our youngest had to go to the potty so I got up to take her and the mom of the family was in the bathroom and I just told her how my daughter had all sorts of questions and she was so nice she said that my daughter could stop by on our way out to ask any ? she had.

After our meal we did just that and we thanked both the soldier and his entire family for the sacrifice that they all were making. It was a pleasant conversation and at the end my husband bought them all dinner, he said that was the least he could do after all he does for our country. Funny thing is.....

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is sweet! God bless your family
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• my husband isn't originally from here but he appreciates what our soldiers are doing for our family and the families across the nation. I've been reading so many things on CM lately about people disrespecting our soldiers I just thought you'd like to hear a story of someone who appreciates everything each and every one of the brave men and women do.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Very nice :) Just bc you don't like the politics doesn't mean that you can't appreciate the personal sacrifice of each and every one! May they all come home safe!
    Anonymous

• That's a really sweet and awesome gesture, both on the mom's part for inviting you to come over and ask questions, and on your husband's for paying for their dinner. That's a really great story to hear.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• very nice of your family, and also of the sacrifice that family made!

BandME

Answer by BandME at 8:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Thanks for the post. I'm a Navy veteran and it's nice to hear a positive story every now and then. :)
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• That is awesome!! The most honoring situation my husband and I ever encountered with people giving us respect and praise while we were in uniform was when we landed in Ireland on our wait to Iraq back in 2006. We were allowed to go into the terminal while they refueled and stocked supplies for the 2nd half of our trip. As our battalion entered the terminal, practically the whole terminal was standing applauding each and every one of us, not stopping after the first wave of us entered, but continued until we were all off the plane. When I used the rest room there, the women praised us and told us how proud of us they are. These were the Irish, not Americans. It was amazing to feel that we got such great praise outside of the US. It made us feel like our mission (whether we agreed with it or not) was worth it.
    RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 9:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Please thank your husband for being so very thoughtful. I have 3 boys in the military. One just returned from Iraq 2 mo. ago. One is in Iraq now, and one is slated to go to Afghanistan in the Fall.

My AF son was sitting in at the car dealership 2 weeks ago having his oil changed, getting ready to go back to San Antonio for more schooling, when the owner of the dealership walked up with the keys and said "All done!" My son almost cried b/c he didn't have to pay! Those are the pats on the back and the "thanks you's" that help the morale of the soldiers.

OP, Thanks again for your families kindness and respect. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• That's so awesome of you guys!!! I always make it a point to go out of my way to thank any soldier I see in uniform.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• That story teared me up a bit. What a sensitive man your husband is! I do love hearing stories about our soldiers being appreciated and respected.

I haven't seen the stories of disrespect that you mentioned, and honestly I hope I never do. I don't care how you feel about the war (I was against it) the men and women who serve our country deserve all of our respect and gratitude.

Thanks for sharing!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2009