My 5 yr. old daughter still gets up in the middle of the night to sleep in our bed. Any advice on how to keep her in her own bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A baby gate in front of her door? I know it sounds drastic but we have put a gate up at bedtime to keep my daughter in her room in her bed. And actually we have never left it up because having it up for a few minutes was enough for her to understand it is bedtime and she needs to stay in her bed. For a while we just set it by her door at bedtime as a reminder and it was enough. And honestly it was awful to do because of the look on her face. But I had no idea what else to do.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 9:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Why not have her come in bed with you when she wakes up? In about ten years you will be wishing she would want to be affectionate or at least talk to you.
    Enjoy this time mama. It is gone so fast.
    Anonymous

• Is there a reason? Or is it just bad habit? If it is just a bad habit, you might try letting her snuggle with you BEFORE bedtime, then put her in her own bed and tell her she has to stay there...and if she gets out, she gets a swat on the behind. She needs to learn to obey you in all things. Everytime she gets out of bed, take her back to her bed, and add a swat (that actually hurts). She will soon decide staying in bed is her best option. (Did this with my 3yo...and it worked! He is happier, and he still loves me!)
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 10:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Swatting your child because they want to snuggle with mom or dad just sounds plain wrong and I am not anti-spanking. A baby gate is a great idea...I would be concerned though if they need to use the bathroom. My kids still climb into bed with me (my younger ones) but that is fine with me since I don't normally notice. But my friends usualy just plan a few nights were they don't have to work and being a little sleepy is ok, they just keep walking thier LO back to bed and tell them that they need to stay there, they have great success after a few days.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Our daughter did this, and because she squirms like mad, my husband and I could never get a good night's sleep with her there (otherwise, we'd probably have let it slide), we would simply make her go back to her own bed. At first, one of us would take her, and after a while, we'd simply tell her to go back to her own bed. She rarely, rarely comes to our room. When she does, we know it's because of a nightmare or because she's sick. Keep it consistent, and she'll be fine.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My daughter just went through this too. Buy her some really cool stuff for her bed and her room. Make her want to sleep in it. My daughter went with Barbie, I think. Sheets, pillowcases, comforter, whatever it takes! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:36 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My son is almost 6 and has done this since two. (we were between homes and shared a room with him for about 7 months) He has finally got it down to maybe once a week. We have just been firm. On a special night when DH doesn't have to work early we ask our son to snuggle with us. Then lay him in his bed when he has fallen asleep, since we don't sleep well when he is in our bed. But, the rest of the week, he has a "pass" that we made like a craft w/ paper and stickers. It is good to get out of bed 1 time. He uses it for bathroom or whatever, when it's gone he can't get back up. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• For us, we just take them by the hand and put them back in their bed. That's it. After a while they figure out that it isn't worth the trouble. Our last child has only needed this twice, and he hasn't come in since. We co-slept for 2 years with all of them (except my stepson), and this worked for us.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Just keep taking her back to her bed when she does this. She'll learn.
    Anonymous

• OK< OK< OK--- My answer is going to sound mortifying to most....my daughter was the exact same way and I was beyond exhausted...she kicked and rolled and tossed and pushed off the covers, etc, etc. .... So, finally, my hubby bought her a little TV with a built in DVD player. We got her some movies like...the little mermaid, cinderella, blues clues...etc. and put one in as we put her to bed. She'd fall asleep watching and as an extra measure, she knew how to restart the movie if she woke up during the night. It may be wrong to do that, but it was the ONLY answer that worked for us.....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2009