Religious demonstrations.

Tonight my S/O kids and I were leaving the store when i heard this man on a megaphone preching about jesus. The first thing that came to my mind was how rude it was to be having this demonstration in the first place. Then my next thought was if it was an atheist demonstration people would be in an uproar instead of ignoring it or participating in it.

My question is: What do you think when you hear someone preaching any religion in a public forum?
Please be respectful I dont make a habit of posting fight starting questions. This one like others I have posted is out of pure curiousity. If you cant be respectful and all you want to do is be hateful please move on, this question is not for you.

momie_of_munch2

Asked by momie_of_munch2 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think, thank God we live in a country where we are allowed to demonstrate. In Iran they have to fight for the right and it is risky.
    Anonymous

• Well, first I generally think, ok, who gave him the megaphone and why does he think he needs to yell his beliefs at people. Does he think that will make people believe it better? Second, I realize that the same ammendment that gives me the right to practice and talk about my religion is the same one that gives him the same right. Now, if he or one of his followers were to try and bagger me or follow me to my car, they may get a megaphone up their nose. But otherwise, it's their right.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• There's such a spectrum that some of them seem reasonable to me, and some of them seem completely nutters.

Either way, I do feel grateful for our freedoms.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I think that while it is his right and we should be happy to have those rights; I question the wisdom of excercizing them in that manor. It makes Christians look like nut jobs. And I really believe that more people are converted because of life testamonies than preaching in the street or even in churches.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• John the Baptist was a wild man who wore goats hair skin for clothing and ate locusts in the wilderness, he came preaching REPENT for the KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND!!!
    How is that any different than the man preaching on a microphone? Just a thought.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• lol spiritguide, I was thinking the same thing
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I'm all for free speech and I'm fine with street preachers except for one thing, that blasted megaphone. I don't know how they managed to keep that as a part of their rights. Too many times I want that reconsidered or my own megaphone to blast back at them. It's not like everyday jane and joe has one of those in their back pocket! Beyond that, how I feel about them is based on their actions and speech. Many of them I feel are nuts, so far off mainstream that it takes preaching in the street just to get a little awareness. As you know any publicity is good publicity, even if it's bad publicity.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• What's the difference between a street preacher and a megaphone, and some car crawling down the street making the windows in the shops rattle and vibrate? When even with all the windows rolled up, you still can't carry on a conversation with the person in the passenger seat right next to you, because the jackass three cars over has his stereo so loud?
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 11:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Your right to walk out of the store and not here a person in a microphone end where that man's rights begin.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 11:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i roll my eyes & wish i wasnt the same religion haha. & if they approach me & are Christian i say flat out "im already a child of God & i think you are pushing more away from Him than towards Him" & walk away. i dont want my fun night ruined by his anger & craziness.

at Mardi Grads in Louisiana this past year there was a strangely dressed man with a giant sign. one side said something derogatory about Catholics (which the majority of Lafayette is) & the other side said something about the debaucheries of sin. now this was at a family day parade, so no drunks or flashing, & everything is appropriate. why didnt he go to New Orleans & protest there? prolly cause he knew he'd get his butt kicked. we cracked jokes about what faith he was (he had a neatly trimmed beard & 50's looking clothes) & i think it was a way for us to detach ourselves (as Christians) from what he was doing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2009