i dont know what to do...... :(

i feel like the worst mom first off. My son Andy is 2 1/2 and was born with a "blessing" called septo optic dysplasia. basically, he may be blind in his left eye (we arent sure yet-he is either blind or has barely any sight in that eye). he is also missing his septo membrane that goes around his pituitary gland. he is delayed in all areas but not severly. to look at my precious miracle, you cant tell anything is wrong. his speech is not understandable to most, but mom and dad understand it. we arent sure of his learning disabilities-we probably wont understand that until he is older and can communicate better-he is getting better but not quite there yet. i am 21 and my hubby is 23. he joined the airforce to give our son every opportunity for a better life and the BEST drs we can get. all of my time is devoted to our son. <---with that being said-he just noticed mommy has breasts. continued below

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• he was FF so he has never been exposed to breast. how do you explain to a child that may or may not understand what your are saying that those are for feeding babies. i could not breast feed with him but plan on trying with my next child-when we choose to have another one. so dont start that debate. also, he is very curious-am i supposed to discourage or encourage? im just so confused and my closest family (besides my CM family) is 500 miles away. how would you deal with this if it was YOUR child (and your FF)? please help me-im so lost. but please dont bash me-i dont need it. i do it enough myself. thanks : (
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i really hope someone can help me. im so confused and dont know what to do. i have to get my son to bed so im signing off now but i will see if anyone has answered in the morning. i dont care if you have experience with a child that has a condition like my sons or if you are speaking from your own personal experience. i dont know what to do. my hubby works nights-by the time im done with my morning routine-i dont have time to take a shower before he goes to work. i cant leave andy unattended while i get a shower (they only take literally 5 minutes) because i have tried that and he gets into everything. i can deal with the mess-i can clean that up-im afraid that he will get hurt. anyway-good night :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• i just tel my dd that those are mommys tatas (or whatever word you want to use) dd has spd, so i do understand a handicap. i try to redirect her and if after a ew tries, she doesnt get it, then i getly smack her had, tell her not to touch mommys tatas and then we go find something that she is allowed to play with.
    raineslibramom

Answer by raineslibramom at 10:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• boys have nickels and girls have boobies! that is what my 5 year tells me..lol..
    anyways I hope your son's eye gets better.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• About the boobies, just tell him no we dont touch those or whatever you call them, as for showers, just put him in a highchair with a sippy cup and let him watch tv or something while you shower.
    Anonymous

• i agree i would jus tell him no those are mommy's not baby's and i usually make my daughter breakfast and put her in the highchair and have a movie going that way i have enough time to get in and get out before she knows it. and it sounds like you need to take a breathe and jus relax...its ok. i know its hard but you have to keep calm and take care of yourself too
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I have girl twins that have special needs and their verbal skills were very low at that age. They still are somewhat but much better now. So I encourage you to first use proper terms. Cute terms don't help understanding. Tell him that mommy is a girl and he is a boy. Girls have special parts that make them girls and boys have special parts too. Tell him these are private and no one but mommy, daddy or doctor should touch them and then only if really needed. You will probably have to repeat this often. I find my girls do best with frequent repetition.

As far as showering, can you do so after he goes to bed ? Get a baby monitor and keep it in the bathroom with you, and keep something you can throw over you quickly if you need to get into his bedroom quickly.

On a personal note, if you would like to chat, feel free to pm me. My girls are 11 and I'm a bit older but we can support one another.
    Kim
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2009