child support

can you get child support if the dad is in jail?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• Dont see how since he cant work. They will just put it a arears (sp?) and depending on how behind he becomes, he'll have to pay it off even if the child is over 18.

I'm 23 and my father still owes over $5000 to my mom for back-child support.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I WISH I NEW IM MARRIED TO A DEAD BEAT BUT NOT FOR LONG IM OUT OF IT
    Anonymous

• Actually you might be able to get an order put in place and it takes effect as soon as he gets out and attends a child support heing in court.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Yes they will put an order for it and when he gets out of jail and he gets a job they will garnish his wages and it come to you now most guys already know that so they get jobs that only pays cash so the state wont find out thats when you take more legal action and you can get his license suspended and then the only way to get it back is to pay you...
    GatorChick

Answer by GatorChick at 10:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• No, he doesn't have a means of support. You could have an order ready for when he gets out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I was told that if my ex were to be put in jail for not paying support that they would give him a job in jail. He would then have money taken out and given to me. This didn't happen, though, unfortunately.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 12:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2009