How do I get my almost 3 yr old to potty train when both my husband and I work 40 hrs/wk?

My husband and I work full time, so my son goes to a babysitter's. We don't have time to be on him every 1/2 hr to and hour to set him on the potty. Plus, he screams when we put him on the potty. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EthansMom0906

Asked by EthansMom0906 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he screams, he's not into it or ready.... and u don't have time to fight the resistance. give it like a 2 month break and get him psyched up in the meantime. Have him pick out favorite underwear next shopping trip and the toilet paper or wipes of his choice... spend the time planning, talking about it, reading books about it, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• have u gotten him his own potty...maybe just try on the days u or ur husband are off to insure he gets a start and telling the babysitter that u want her to help with potty training....but thats extra work and should deserve extra pay cuz then shes doing what u should be bbut if she's there mostly she might be of great help
    Anonymous

• I always worked and was separated from my then husb. I used to take off his diaper as soon as we got home. Take him to the bathroom when yu go and just let him see how it is done. Give him rewards each time he tries or doe a good job. Be consistent and get the babysitter involved so tht she can reinforce it. Good Luck!
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I was going to say take him when you go and have the baby sitter do the same. It should be no difference than at home when he is at the sitter. When your home make him go every hour or every hour and half then have the sitter do the same. He cant go to school in pull ups.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• As the sitter to do it. She is your employee.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2009