starting preschool

My DD starts preschool on the 17th of next month. I am excited for her but also a little nervous. I am a stay at home mom and try to work her a little each day on things like colors shapes letters etc. I am just terrified that she will somehow be behind the other kids though. She can count to ten in english and spanish and can count to 20 with just a little help. She knows all the basic shapes except for the star which she calls Macy's lol and she can say the ABCs but can only recognize about 5 letters on sight. Also I have been trying to help her to learn to write her name but she is having a really tough time writing. she usually ends up scribbling or drawing hundreds of circles. Is she about on par for her age??? She will be 3 in october. thanks

KaireasMommy

Asked by KaireasMommy at 10:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes she is doing just fine my lil girl just finshed prk and she still cant write her name but can spell it correctly she can write the alpha but when it comes to her name she cant write it well rather refuses to she know how. in school i think they learn like 10 number a week until they got to 100. she will be fine.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I am a teacher mom, right now I work in a preschool. dont worry so, she sounds like she is above average and you might turn her off to learning b/c you are pushing.

Her lack of desire for writing is normal. Just give her some crayons and a cool color book. This activity helps build the muscles needed for writing. Other good activities for this is lacing cards...you can find them at craft or hobby shops. Small cards with holes around the edges, they take shoe laces and "sew" up the edges. WONDERFUL for hand coordination!

Learning should be playing, she is not ready for sit down desk work yet. So just think of fun games and play time that would help reinforce learning. You want her to enjoy learning and not worry so much about it.

Also, dont let your worry about starting school show in front of her. Act jelous of her wonderful school, brag on the school to family, make it a big deal for her and she will be so excited!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I am so glad someone else was feeling this way. My son is going to preschool next month and will be just turning four in October. I was worried he'd be a bit behind on some things. He also doesn't like practicing writing letters. Frankly, he'd much rather play outside. So I am glad to feel a bit more at ease with the answers from others. Thanks!!
    momofaedan

Answer by momofaedan at 11:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My daughter, who just turned 4 last month, will be starting pr-k next month. I have had all of the same concerns...but it seems like your daughter is ahead of mine, so I wouldn't worry. Besides, isn't the point of school to teach children? There wouldn't be much point in it if they all showed up knowing everything already. That's why I'm putting my daughter in pre-k, because I cannot teach anything to anyone, so hopefully her teacher's will do a better job!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• She is only 2 and you are sending her to preschool! Why? Why are you pushing her to know so much? Young children don't need group educational experiences. The best age to start any kind of school is probably between 7 and 12. You might try reading things written by John Holt.

We home schooled and found that colleges like home schooled students. One of my sons didn't learn to read until he was 12 because I waited until he was ready and he was admitted to Purdue Nursing School when he was 16. He had only been reading 4 years and had gotten into a very difficult to get into program at age 16. You don't need to send your kids to school early for them to get into college.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I have taught preschool for 20 + years and I can assure you that your daughter is ahead of what is expected for a child entering preschool. The skills you mention that she has are skills that are taught in preschool. You have done a great job mom!
    As far as writing, Occupational Therapists' have told me for years to allow children to play with clay and playdoh to help strengthen the muscles in the hands. The pinching, pulling, squeezing motions work the muscles. Also, they say to place the paper up on a slant instead of down on a flat surface. So place the paper on an easel or tape it to the side of the refrigerator or door. This helps them grasp the writing utensil correctly and also strengthen. If she is having trouble holding it, use short broken crayons. Actually scribbeling and drawing circles is just were your DD should be for her age. Preschool is important for learning social skills along with academic!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:54 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Preschool is for LEARNING their letters, numbers, shapes, colors. They aren't expected to know any of that crap! That's what preschool is for...to teach it!!

Do not put paper on a slant for her unless she has a problem with wrist extension. Playing with clay or playdoh will strengthen her hands, but it does nothing to help with holding a writing utensil correctly. That takes practice and correction if needed.

Do not use broken crayons because then it cannot be held correctly.

This is from the OT's working with my kids.
    Anonymous

• She will be fine. I used to teach and may I say this. Scribbling is the first form of handwriting. Don't discourage this. Also, there are writing symbols you can order from teacher stores and other children's educational catalogs. One of my favorites is...Lakeshore. Google it and they will send you a free catalog. Has great stuff. Just a few suggestions; when you are out and about...point out the signs (stop signs) etc.  Ask the teacher what is she learning for the day. Talk to the teacher and try to reinforce what she's learning.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:28 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• I agree with the mom who asked why your 2 year old is starting preschool. My daughter will be 3 in August and I decided to wait one more year until she is 4 to start preschool. Why are you forcing education on your daughter at such a young age? You are obviously doing a good enough job if she knows so much. Why not let her be a kid a little longer before sending her off to school for the rest of her life? We are in school long enough as it is, especially when we go to college after and add 2-10 years depending on degrees. Let your Daughter be a kid a little longer. Why rush her?
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 3:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Do not put paper on a slant for her unless she has a problem with wrist extension. Playing with clay or playdoh will strengthen her hands, but it does nothing to help with holding a writing utensil correctly. That takes practice and correction if needed.

You need to fire your ot, cause thats the biggest load of crap ever heard in education. Slanting paper DOES work it DOES help children form letters correctly and hold the crayon correctly. Playing with playdoh DOES help strengthen the muscles, which is exactly what's needed to write. It also helps with the pincher grasp. Both are needed to correctly hold writing utensils. Broken crayons work just fine, and actually the really fat ones work the best... Seriously, the best advice I can give you anon is fire your ot, cause she's fed you a crock of bull crap.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 11, 2009