Do you have a freezer (extra)?

I'm considering buying an upright freezer. I don't know if the cost to run it is going to be worth it, though. Right now, I buy in bulk and sometimes almost buy too much to fit in my top freezer on my fridge. It would take two or three months to fill an upright freezer completely.
How much do you think your upright freezer really saves you money by being able to buy meat on sale vs. the electricity to run it?

timelessglass

Asked by timelessglass at 10:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I agree with notpanicking. We save a lot, because we buy meat on sale. I usually don't buy meat unless it is less than $2 a pound. But when it is on sale I buy a lot of it. I also buy most of our food in one big shopping trip per month so we need it to keep all of the months food frozen.
    I also cook big meals and freeze half for another meal often so that is another great use for ours. I love having meals that are ready to eat in 20 minutes.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I couldn't even begin to figure it - between mgr's special meat, milk on dirt cheap sale and all the meals we save, at least a thousand a year. Between the freezer and the FoodSaver it's definitely more than worth it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• We have a upright freezer..We always buy meat on sale..The small freezer with the frig was never big enough for us. I never thought about the electricity use of it. We just needed more room.

Answer by louise2 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Also, we do not have an upright, we have a small chest freezer that has the energy star. We did not notice an increase in our utility bill.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• It takes more electricity to run a freezer with little to no space in it. The fuller it is the harder it has to work. Get another freezer. We love ours! We have a chest one. When ice cream and frozen pizzas go on sale we stock up on those too, big time!!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We just bought an upright one about a week and a half ago. We always shop at Costco and just never had enough room in the small one that's on top of the fridge.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:45 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• we have an extra freezer and every year at tax time we buy a side of beef...it's fresh and healthy...and we dont buy meat for a year, except chicken...and I don't buy pork.
    But it also helps in sales of frozen food....right now I could quit shopping for 2 months and just eat off what's in the extra freezer.
    That's smart to have that much extra food because you never know when an income is going to end or you get hit with something like a car or house repair where food has to come second
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We used to have a huge upright! Bigger than my fridge. We loved it, and I miss it more than you can imagine.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• We have two extra freezers, one is an upright, the other a chest freezer. We only noticed a difference of a couple of dollars a month in our electric bill when we have one empty and unplug it. I save MUCH more than that on food because I love to buy meat, bread and milk when I find great deals AND I use them to freeze some veggies from our garden. I also will make extra meals and freeze them, saving us a lot of $$ on those nights when an easy meal is the answer...we avoid fast food places and buying convenience foods that way.

It takes more electricity to keep an almost empty freezer running so be sure to keep your freezer more than half full.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:44 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Our Freezer saves us a TON...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2009