expecting mom planning on breastfeeding...need advice.

planning on BF and I wanted to know if there is any way to help ur nipples prepare to be sucked raw. I heard of creams and rubbing the colostrium sp? on the nipple but how does that help and does it help...??? Please any moms who have breastfed or still do please give me some advice on this cuz my nipples are already hurting at the thought.

Dom123123

Asked by Dom123123 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am currently nursing a 6 1/2 month old and I had a horrible time at first. The main thing is to stick with it. I really wanted to quit at one point because she wasn't latching right and I was bleeding. With the right support from other women who had breastfed we got through it just fine and were pros in a couple of weeks. Also, I had one "good nipple" so I pumped the sore one while feeding on the "good nipple" for a whole day and used lots of lanolin, this allowed things to heal up without the danger of discouraging milk production. Also, while lanolin is wonderful, do not use it for more than three days or your skin can become dependent on it. Good Luck! I know you'll both do great! Remember our bodies and babies are made to do this!
    nkent

Answer by nkent at 11:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• If it hurts, then you are doing something wrong. It shouldnt hurt. Whoever is telling you it hurts, did something wrong as well. ;)

Usually the problem is that the baby is not latched on all the way. So, to get all the nipple in, is a very important part. When the baby opens his mouth WIDE, you push as much in as will go, you feel like you are choking them, but thats just the way it goes. ;)

Also, lansino cream is good, keeps them soft and moisturized.

You will have engorgement which can be painful, but it subsides after a while.

Goodluck!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:48 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Ditto with the first post.
    i had some problems with painful nipples but it was all becasue my DD wasn't latching on right. I also suffered with cracked and bleeding nipples but the lanshino is wonderful stuff. It's hard at first i will admit. but it is so worth it. Just remember. No matter how bad it is it WILL get better. by the time my DD was 3 weeks everything was so much better.

If you do get cracked nipples I will say you might want to get a nipple shield. from Medela. It did me wonders.

MSG me if you have any questions. I also have a good friend who is practically an expert in BFing.lol
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 10:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• In the areola, around the nipple, there are glands that keep your nipples moisturized, so don't worry so much. And PP is right, if it hurts, you aren't doing something right!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 10:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I am sorry but BOTH my babies hurt. I have to disagree with moms2twobabies. I had a lactation consultant tell me several times I was doing everything correctly and the baby was latching wide enough. I did not bleed or crack it just hurt. Also it hurt when I had let down (even when the baby was not attached or around for that matter). Everyone is different. So the whole "if you are doing it right it wont hurt" just depends on the person. I will say that it only lasted a couple of weeks! Don't get discouraged it will go away!

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I used lanshino also and with my second son I also used silicone nipple shields. Not all women have an easy time breastfeeding, and it is usually because the baby isn't latched on right, but not always. I have EXTREMLY dry shin and my nipples hurt all the time because they were dry and nothing seemed to work, but the nipple shields I found worked pretty good. If you have a local WIC office go see the lactation nurse.
    lilmama4d_j

Answer by lilmama4d_j at 11:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Express breat milk & massage it around your nipples to help with cracked & sore nipples.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 11:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I do not at all believe when they say, "If it hurts at all, you're doing something wrong". I have breastfed 2 babies and with both I was in so much pain during the first couple of weeks. I consulted several lactation specialists and they ALL told me I was doing everything right and the baby was latched on perfectly. My nipples were just not used to it and had to "Toughen Up". To relieve my pain, I used lanolin, expressed b-milk on my nipples, and I walked around wearing only a nursing bra to help the air relieve my pain. But, I never quit and was determined to get through those first few weeks without giving up. After a short amount of time, things got better and my nursing experience was awesome.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I had a hard time with this with my first, and I read a good way to start preparing your nipples is to stop using soap on them. "It" said they aren't dirty and don't need soap...
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2009