Does your 2 year olds have good fine motor skills and do they dress themsevles? I was told thatt they should at this age. Is it true

Mish312

Asked by Mish312 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son will be 2 in a month. He can't dress himself at all yet. Sometimes he takes off his shorts by himself, but it's hard for him. He needs help getting his shirt off too. I'd say two is young to dress themselves.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Well yes it is actually it not about that its about how well you train them to do what they suppose to at this age
    Shaina11

Answer by Shaina11 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I didn't think she should dress herself.. I didn't think about it. When she was around 18 months she mastered putting her pants on. Sometimes I tell her to do that, but she wears a lot of difficult to put on clothes... I guess if I "trained" her.. LOL She can take them off just fine if, like I said, is not a funky contraption of fabric.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• My son is a few months past two. He can pull a shirt over his head if I start it and put his arms into the sleeves if I first align them. He can pull up his shorts, but can't put them on his legs yet. He can't put on his socks, but can pull them off. He can't put on his shoes, but can just now get them off.

Practice with your little one every day.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I'm not sure what you mean by 'good' fine motor skills. They should be able pick up smaller foods with their hands and eat with a spoon, even if it's a bit messy. Most of them can usually get their pants down or are starting to try to (that's one of the signs of being ready to go potty). If you give them a crayon they will grab it with a fist and make large marks across the paper (or stick it in their mouth).
    Anonymous

• As a part of my job, I evaluate children ages 2-5 to determine if they have delays. The assessment that I give them is called the Battelle Developmental Inventory. Dressing skills are addressed in the area called Adaptive/Self-Care. The skills that a 2 year old should have are:

Helps dress himself or herself by holding out his or her arms or legs and Removes his or her shoes without assistance. At the 3 year old level a child should be able to Remove clothing unassisted.

A 2 year olds fine motor skills should be:

to extend a toy to a person and release it from his or her grasp, and intentionally propel or throw an object. At age 3, he should be able to remove a form from a form board, scribble linear and circular patterns spontaneously, and use their fingertips to grasp a pencil and place a raisin in a bottle.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• By 2, my son could put on his underwear and pants by himself, as well as his shoes, but they are Velcro and pretty easy shoes to get on and off. At 2 1/2, he can put on a shirt most of the time. Sometimes he gets twisted, lol. He cannot put on his socks, but he can take them off. He was evaluated for delays and found to be at or beyond age 3 in all areas except verbal expression at age 2. In other words, he doesn't talk much or very clearly. He can hold a pencil and draw very small circles and lines in a deliberate manner. His large motor coordination is also great and he was out of diapers at 19 1/2 months. He is in speech therapy though and I think about a year behind. I think most regular kids have areas of strength, areas of weakness, and areas where they are just average, just like the rest of us. We just hope that by about age 5-6, they're all potty-trained, dressing themselves, walking, and talking :)
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• My daughter can undress, and she can put on her pants, shirts and dresses are more difficult. she puts on socks and shoes all the time. It is very cute.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 10:03 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Um...fine motor skills would be tying, snapping, buttoning and zipping.

Getting dressed by themselves is NOT fine motor skills. (have kids with fine motor skill delays)

At two they should be HELPING to dress themselves, dressing themselves by 3 and snapping, zipping, buttoning at 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2009