How do you feed a child something that they need to eat?

well the doctor says that i ned to force her into eating fruits because of her blood presser but she won't touch it at all

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A child should not be forced to eat anything. Ask the doctor for a referral to a dietician. There are many good foods for reducing blood pressure other than fruit. A good diet for adults for hypertension is the DASH diet. It is a good balanced eating plan for life. You can find it by going to google.com and typing in DASH diet.

Oats are really good. Eating oatmeal or oat bran cereal most mornings would be a good start. Has she tried the individual wrapped prunes? Dried cherries? Frozen grapes?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I use to make oat meal and shred an apple into it..With a little cinnamon.  Or you can use raisins instead..I heard people buy baby food fruit kind a hide it in other foods.

Answer by louise2 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• Try making zucchini bread, banana bread, apple-cinnamon bread.
    There's a book called "The Sneaky Chef" that is supposed to have some good recipes that hide fruits and veggies in everyday foods like mac n cheese. Look it up on Amazon.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I've always just kept offering them to her. Well my daughter is two.. I've offered her broccoli since she could eat table foods and she never took it until about a month ago now she LOVES broccoli. SO I say, give her choices buy make all of them healthy. Freezing your fruit sometimes makes it more fun to eat. Real fruit frozen bars are yummy. Strawverries, grapes, kiwi, oranges--my 2yo loves to help peel and then eat oranges. Also try taking her to a food market and select the fruit herself. Get her involved and hopefully it'll be more fun! & IGNORE these nasty McDonald's ads that food is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• fruit smoothies? they have low sugar ones.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I am lucky my son LOVES fruit, but he is picky on his veggies. So, I have used the jarred baby food veggies in my sauces. For example the baby food carrots in a MAC & Cheese. He never noticed. You could also do as above said and get her to eat Fruit smoothies. Even if it is Ice cream with a bannanna blended in. We use alot of applesauce and yogurt with fruit on top. What about juices?? The V-8 slash has lots of fruit choices. My son munches on dried fruits like raisins, cranberries, prunes. They are good to add to almost anything like oatmeal, cereal, trailmix, ice cream or bread.
    I haven't read it, but ditto on the sneaky chef book idea too.
    GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2009

• wow. mh ids love fruit. anyways how about juices or making smoothies at home. We freeze some fruits like blueberries, mangos or peaches (the last tow skin and sliice) and then when we put it in the blender its like having ice-cream in a cup.
    Also add to foods.
    My neighbor's daughter will not eat veggies but when she ends up here for dinner she always eats them b/c I just put it into the food and don't tell her until after (LOL)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2009

• Smoothies, recipes (pies), I made some pork stir fry stuff that had apricots in it. Use dips (caramel or cheese dips with apples), put blueberries in milk with sugar stirred in, strawberry shortcake w/whipped cream, fruit salad (just cut up various fruits and mix it with yogurt of your choice), There's all kinds of fun ways to use fruit and still make it fun so they'll eat it.
    Anonymous

• Have her try smoothies. their all real fruit. maybe that way you can get her used to fruits.and yogarts have fruit in them .have her try those .and see how it goes. and then slowly start giving her fruit peeled and cut into smaller pieces. until she eats them her way..good luck...
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2009

• Jessica Seinfeld has a recipe book that might help. She sneaks good food in the recipes for her kids to eat well.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2009